365 GT 2+2 Headliner cleaning/ touch up question

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

RDC3500GT

365 GT 2+2 Headliner cleaning/ touch up question

Post by RDC3500GT »

Hi All,

The headliner in my car is original and has yellowed quite a bit. While I've put quite a bit of elbow grease into cleaning it, I've only managed to clean the dirt off and not remove the yellow discoloration between pleats and around the mounting screws.

Eventually, I plan to replace the entire interior of the car as the front seats and door panels were previously done poorly, but for the time being, I was curious if anybody had tried any products that would remove the stains. Or - would it be possible to use a sponge applicator white shoe polish to "paint" the entire thing?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
afwrench

Re: 365 GT 2+2 Headliner cleaning/ touch up question

Post by afwrench »

I used a spray dye from World Upholstery .It worked very well. They have a website and a wide variety of colors. Good luck. Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
RDC3500GT

Post by RDC3500GT »

Thanks for the tip - I agree it's probably the best way to go. But short of removing the headliner, I can only begin to imagine the masking job required.

Has anybody tried bleach to remove stains on the headliner?
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

There is a company called ColorPlus ( www.colorplus.com ) who makes a product for restoring vinyl headliners. On their home page, search the word "vinyl". It is (or was) available as a brush on paint/dye/color. They do custom colors as well. They even have a testimonial about a headliner restoration. I've used it but it was several years ago.
Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)