330 GTC Campagnolo wheel paint

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

simondgb

330 GTC Campagnolo wheel paint

Post by simondgb »

if anyone can assist me I'm looking for the paint code (or modern equivalent) for my 14"campagnolo mag wheels, ive read all the forums and tried several paints but still cannot get a prrfect match (mainly too sparkly) I wondered of you know a reputable restorer that would share the codes. Im shooting ppg single stage but im open to whatever at this point. I was with the ppg rep yesterday we found a GM color that replaced DX8555 still unsure as to the origins of this code but the wheel came out more greyish and really metallic with lots of speckles. Is there a modern single stage urethene that will work and match perfectly?

Best Regards,

Simon DGB
DWR46

Re: 330 GTC Campagnolo wheel paint

Post by DWR46 »

I have answered this question many times. 1960 Chrysler Silver (there was only one silver for Chrysler that year).
tyang

Post by tyang »

I think it's time to move this to the archive and put it in a Restoration Tips section!

Thanks Dyke.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Timo

Post by Timo »

Archiving may not be that helpful unless the actual modern and readily accessible formula for the aforementioned Chrysler silver or equivalent is also provided. Just walking into a local automotive paint supply retailer and asking for "1960 xxxxxxx color" will not likely produce desired results, even if they have old color charts/chips with the said example listed as the chemicals/components originally used to create such "period" colors are no longer available, at least not in California, AFAIK, but I've been wrong before.
Timo
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Timo: Maybe that is why I do not live in California. In Illinois, I go to the paint store, he pulls out his old catalogs, we find the car and code, and he mixes up the paint. I just seems so simple here in the Midwest. I did look up the old info on my can of 1960 Chrysler Silver. It is Dupont Lucite Lacquer #3084L. I realize the can dates from the late 1970s, but that is what I have.
Edward 96GTS

Post by Edward 96GTS »

not to be confused with cromodoras, which are nonmetallic. anyone have a code for the cromos?
Timo

Post by Timo »

DWR46 wrote:Timo: Maybe that is why I do not live in California. In Illinois, I go to the paint store, he pulls out his old catalogs, we find the car and code, and he mixes up the paint. I just seems so simple here in the Midwest. I did look up the old info on my can of 1960 Chrysler Silver. It is Dupont Lucite Lacquer #3084L. I realize the can dates from the late 1970s, but that is what I have.
Mr. R: You're quite lucky indeed. There' hasn't been any lacquer based automotive paints available in CA for at least 10-20 years, IIRC. I think last time I sprayed lacquer on cars was around 1990-1991, my 1932 Plymouth Roadster and a clients 1957 Chrysler 300 Coupe (both in black).
Timo
zac

Post by zac »

Timo, actually we can still buy Laquer in California just not as easily as other states and this site has all the old paints, paint codes etc. I wouldn't necessarily use them for color matching a car but for wheel paint certainly.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/

And Ed for the Chromadoras the general consensus is straight silver PPG toner with a semi gloss clear over. I have talked to a number of painters and restoration shops but this is by far the easiest and closet to original match I have seen. I have the PPG number written down somewhere but there really weren't that many choices so it was kind of straight forward. Also I had a set of Daytona and Miura wheels powder coated a couple months ago with a silver that's spot on. Maybe not concourse correct but so much easier to clean the brake dust off plus brake fluid doesn't eat it like it does paint.

Zac
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings… I just took delivery of some acrylic lacquer from TCP right here in North California. No problem. I was speaking to a painter yesterday and he said the only problem in buy;ing the old formulations is you are limited to no more than a gallon.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic