Stamping a Label

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tim

Re: Stamping a Label

Post by tim »

Greetings… Chassis number stamping is something that comes up often in the Morgan world as the chassis is essentially a service part. The chassis is made of sheet metal of approximately 11 ga and they rust, bend, or crack. The chassis number is stamped on a cross member only. My 61 has a replacement chassis with no number stamped. So do you stamp the original chassis on a replacement part? Some think you should put a prefix or suffix on the number to indicate a replacement.
As to the Ferrari, I think the chassis plate is engraved but the air cleaner plate is stamped.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
kare

Post by kare »

Timo wrote:For example, how can one be sure if one is attempting to buy a car with reproduction tag that was replaced due to original actually being missing or for perhaps more sinister, undisclosed reasons ?
My point exactly. I have done a lot of research on individual cars and everytime I find something that is not 100% correct, I add a few of question marks to my notes. For me the parts containing original identification stampings cannot be replaced. If they have been replaced, there is always a problem, and replacements are very easy to catch. Very few people have the faintest idea how many things there are to be concidered. Of course anyone can do as they please, but when tampering the identification numbers one should concider the value of the car. Stories can get very expensive if they frighten off the potential buyer.
treue

Post by treue »

Friends,

A followup. Mr. Yang kindly provided a solution. He has worked with a jeweler who has a computer-controlled engraver that can cut any set of characters in any fonts in any engravable material such as an automobile data plate. It looks almost too good but a little greasy dirt from your fingers, rubbed into the text, adds instant patina. Contact TY for further information.
9129 Label, Air Filter, 11-25-14.jpg
9129 Label, Air Filter, 11-25-14.jpg (210.4 KiB) Viewed 7340 times

Tom
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
Edward 96GTS

Post by Edward 96GTS »

looks very nice. is tag simply rivetted on?
wrt the chassis no. stamping, what are the pebble beach restoration shops doing? all those tags looked new to me with no scratches or gouging in the plate.
ed
treue

Post by treue »

Ed,

The car came with no tag on the air filter housing, just the two rivet holes. It didn't even look like anything had EVER been there. I bought the reproduction tag, with the cute little rivets, from Parker Hall who sells his labels blank. I didn't want to install it without the data stamped on it. The rest (above) is history. I made a rivet set from a block of aluminum, clamped it in my vise and made the shop head with a small hammer.

My guess is that professional shops have the appropriate stamps made in the correct font and height, put them in a gang holder, place it correctly on the label and whack it with a hammer. I didn't want to go to that expense (mid-to-upper three figures), since I only had the one label to stamp.

Tom
Tom Treue
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Hello org. is not so sterile I think.

C.
Attachments
$.jpeg
$.jpeg (134.05 KiB) Viewed 7312 times
treue

Post by treue »

Cornelis,

The one in your picture was obviously done by Sergio the Slob. Mine was done by Pietro the Perfect, Sergio's son.

In Parker Hall's catalog there are several pictures of labels that are obviously original. A very few stampings have some slight, obviously human-made imperfections, but most are lined up perfectly, although the character strings may be canted slightly in their respective windows.

Tom
Tom Treue
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Tom, I like you're reaction,

But for those who have an "european model" should buy an other tag.
Probably the cars for" US- strangers" where prepared more straight lined.
No englisch translation on the labels here.

ciao

C.