Novice voltage regulator question

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Novice voltage regulator question

Post by Steve Meltzer »

OK, where is the darn thing on a 330 GTC? The schematic shows that it should be near the battery, firewall, right side, but I can't seem to find it.This should be obvious, and I'm embarrassed to ask, tho' that hasn't deterred me in the past. thanx steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
250GT

Re: Novice voltage regulator question

Post by 250GT »

Steve Meltzer wrote:OK, where is the darn thing on a 330 GTC? The schematic shows that it should be near the battery, firewall, right side, but I can't seem to find it.This should be obvious, and I'm embarrassed to ask, tho' that hasn't deterred me in the past. thanx steve

Steve,
You will probebly never find it ,when you´re car is upgraded with an newer type of dynamo!
I am so sorry.
These has them normally intergrated inside or on the back
the org. one cannot been overseen the lid is flashing orange or bright red.

best

C.
Attachments
P1000276_small.JPG
P1000276_small.JPG (10.11 KiB) Viewed 9034 times
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx Cornellis, I assume that when you say "dynamo'', it's what we Yanks would call it an alternator. Yes? thanx. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Timo

Post by Timo »

Steve, can't say for sure on 330CGTC, but on Daytona voltage regulator is usually found under the dash, left of steering column (at least on LHD cars) even though wiring schematics might suggest it being located somewhere on the right side of engine bay.
Generator is often referenced as Dynamo in Europe, although I assume in this case Cornelis is also using the reference for an Alternator. He also appear suggesting your car might have had its original, externally regulated unit exchanged (upgraded ?) to more modern, internally regulated unit, in which case the O.E. type regulator might have been removed altogether and is now nowhere to be found in the car.
Timo
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Timo, thanx for the info. I'll climb under there and look to see. Weird place to put one i'd think, but maybe I've been foolin' with 'Vettes too long! s
steve meltzer,
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Timo wrote:Steve, can't say for sure on 330CGTC, but on Daytona voltage regulator is usually found under the dash, left of steering column (at least on LHD cars) even though wiring schematics might suggest it being located somewhere on the right side of engine bay.
Generator is often referenced as Dynamo in Europe, although I assume in this case Cornelis is also using the reference for an Alternator. He also appear suggesting your car might have had its original, externally regulated unit exchanged (upgraded ?) to more modern, internally regulated unit, in which case the O.E. type regulator might have been removed altogether and is now nowhere to be found in the car.
I could explain it better Timo, thanks
The red regulator- must be removed completely with this kind of upgrade.
you cannot use both ,or you can leave it as an optical fake.

C.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

250GT wrote:
Timo wrote:Steve, can't say for sure on 330CGTC, but on Daytona voltage regulator is usually found under the dash, left of steering column (at least on LHD cars) even though wiring schematics might suggest it being located somewhere on the right side of engine bay.
I could explain it better Timo, thanks
The red regulator- must be removed completely with this kind of upgrade.
you cannot use both ,or you can leave it as an optical fake.

C.
Timo,
Sorry forgot to write the word NOT.
"I could NOT explain it better" see above
best

C.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Thanks Cornelis,
No problem :)
Timo
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

My voltage regulator is to the left of the steering column, under the dash on the firewall behind the vinyl cover. It's the original small black Lucas, type 4TR. The car is a 1968 GTC 11157
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx so much, jumprun....with a gun at my head, i'd never have looked there. steve
steve meltzer,
Suebian330

Post by Suebian330 »

GT2+2 has it under the dashboard passenger side beside glove box.

Dieter
Kopie von DSC01096.JPG
Kopie von DSC01096.JPG (175.39 KiB) Viewed 8975 times
[b]Suebian330

#8741 330 GT2+2[/b]
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx again, Suebian, C, Timo and Jumprun. I can easily see the three wires that are the "tattle-ta;el" of the voltage regulator. I'll climb under there this weekend and see what's what. steve
steve meltzer,
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

After a little detective work, more like the aptly named "Lt. Colombo", I found my voltage regulator. Under dash, driver's side, to the left of the steering column. As you can see, not any sort of red. thanx guys. steve
Attachments
voltage regulator for tom.jpg
voltage regulator for tom.jpg (199.2 KiB) Viewed 8938 times
steve meltzer,