1960's Ferrari Keys

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Post Reply
2837GT
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:55 am

1960's Ferrari Keys

Post by 2837GT » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:33 am

Hello, first post so apologies in advance if this has been covered already.

The keys for my GTE are clearly not original, they are made by Silca in Italy but have plastic covered heads and look quite modern.
There is an older round headed all metal key on the fob , also Silca which I had thought might be original.

Anyway, there is GTE barn find coming up at Bonham's and studying the pictures of lot 248 I saw a photo of the key fob and what look like original keys.
It looked great and has made me determined to hunt down more original looking keys.
So I need to find key blanks.

I think 250's predate the use of Neiman keys, I had thought that Silca keys would be correct but reading thier company website they were not founded untill 1974 so the older key on my fob is clearly not correct either.

Any information on and pictures of original keys would be very much apprecaited.
Together with any hints on where to get hold of original looking blanks.

Thanks, Graham

User avatar
Besters
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:29 am
Location: Germany

Re: 1960's Ferrari Keys

Post by Besters » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:00 am

Mine is "Giobert" , but I don't know, if it's original.
schluessel-01.jpg
schluessel-01.jpg (88.16 KiB) Viewed 5061 times
Regards
Markus

´61 250GTE #2281GT ; ´80 308GT4 #15112 ; ´83 208 turbo GTB #46599 ; ´85 Mondial 3.2 #59769

250GT
Posts: 968
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:41 am
Location: germany/holland

Re: 1960's Ferrari Keys

Post by 250GT » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:11 am

2837GT wrote:Hello, first post so apologies in advance if this has been covered already.

The keys for my GTE are clearly not original, they are made by Silca in Italy but have plastic covered heads and look quite modern.
There is an older round headed all metal key on the fob , also Silca which I had thought might be original.

Anyway, there is GTE barn find coming up at Bonham's and studying the pictures of lot 248 I saw a photo of the key fob and what look like original keys.
It looked great and has made me determined to hunt down more original looking keys.
So I need to find key blanks.

I think 250's predate the use of Neiman keys, I had thought that Silca keys would be correct but reading thier company website they were not founded untill 1974 so the older key on my fob is clearly not correct either.

Any information on and pictures of original keys would be very much apprecaited.
Together with any hints on where to get hold of original looking blanks.

Thanks, Graham

Clear foto can be found in GTE Manual

On key reads: TORINO CEAM

One blank can be found on ebay 499 usd UGGH
but you need two I think for PB

C.
Attachments
IMG_0147.jpg
blanks you need two
IMG_0147.jpg (101.06 KiB) Viewed 5024 times
IMG_0145.jpg
complete ignition switch
IMG_0145.jpg (91.79 KiB) Viewed 5024 times
gte key.tiff
BLANKS
gte key.tiff (134.58 KiB) Viewed 5024 times

250GT
Posts: 968
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:41 am
Location: germany/holland

Re: 1960's Ferrari Keys

Post by 250GT » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:19 am


kare
Posts: 547
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:34 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

Re: 1960's Ferrari Keys

Post by kare » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Be very careful when buying blanks. All sorts of modern profiles are frequently described on Ebay as genuine 250GT ignition keys. Have never seen a correct CEAM blank being offered.

Giobert is correct, but I forget where it fits: trunk and glove box maybe? These were separated so you can leave your car in for service with both containers locked.

2837GT
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:55 am

Re: 1960's Ferrari Keys

Post by 2837GT » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:24 pm

Gentlemen , thank you for your help.
So The original keys came with plastic covered heads.
I am not inclined to pay up so much for CEAM blanks that may be incorrect anyway.
If I see blanks similar in style to the Giobert ones for a reasonable price I will pounce.

Over the weekend the headlamp switch appears to have gone haywire, the lights won't turn off and the ring around the shaft of the switch has become disturbingly hot !
I guess that needs to be the new priority !

The joy of old cars !

User avatar
rbgdvm
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: 1960's Ferrari Keys

Post by rbgdvm » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Graham
Try key-men.com. I got spare blanks for my GTE from them a few years ago.
Ron
'63 GTE #4151

User avatar
T308
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 5:12 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: 1960's Ferrari Keys

Post by T308 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:47 pm

I believe the key-men.com code is GT-2 for the GTE keys. Looks like they're out of stock right now.
1962 250 GT/E 3921, 1978 308 GTS 26845

250GT
Posts: 968
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:41 am
Location: germany/holland

Re: 1960's Ferrari Keys

Post by 250GT » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:56 am

kare wrote:Be very careful when buying blanks. All sorts of modern profiles are frequently described on Ebay as genuine 250GT ignition keys. Have never seen a correct CEAM blank being offered.

Giobert is correct, but I forget where it fits: trunk and glove box maybe? These were separated so you can leave your car in for service with both containers locked.
there were 3 main cyl providers inthe 60th.
IACAM MILANO
GIOBERT TURINO
CEAM TURINO

You probebly hav the "wrong cylinder in side the switch
those keys has other horizotal groofs.
the driver door key fitts also the glove box
even the Ceam ignition switches body are differant with the attachments and body
IACAM cylinder can be found on Europa GT, 1th serie TDF some Lusso and GTB`s 4th pic.
all those cyl are compatible this the grips etc
in priciple you can make a one key car( but not found on Ferrari 250-330)

ciao

C.
Attachments
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg (37.11 KiB) Viewed 4861 times
IMG_0156.jpg
IMG_0156.jpg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 4861 times
IMG_0158.jpg
IMG_0158.jpg (37.84 KiB) Viewed 4861 times

250GT
Posts: 968
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:41 am
Location: germany/holland

Re: 1960's Ferrari Keys

Post by 250GT » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:03 am

other pics
For me these key issue is a bit over he top.
I can live with a Lancia key without a problem.
but details seams to be now adays highly important.

C.
Attachments
IMG_0159.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg (46.8 KiB) Viewed 4861 times
IMG_0153.jpg
IMG_0153.jpg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 4861 times
IMG_0157.jpg
IMG_0157.jpg (52.04 KiB) Viewed 4861 times

250GT
Posts: 968
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:41 am
Location: germany/holland

Re: 1960's Ferrari Keys

Post by 250GT » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:47 am

Later on SAFE and SILCA took over the production of keys and cylinders I think.

C.

2837GT
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:55 am

Re: 1960's Ferrari Keys

Post by 2837GT » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:06 am

250GT wrote:Later on SAFE and SILCA took over the production of keys and cylinders I think.

C.
Makes sense, my car was restored in Italy in the 90's.
Possibly aquired a new ignition and SILCA keys then.
G

2837GT
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:55 am

Re: 1960's Ferrari Keys

Post by 2837GT » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:06 am

250GT wrote:Later on SAFE and SILCA took over the production of keys and cylinders I think.

C.
Makes sense, my car was restored in Italy in the 90's.
Possibly aquired a new ignition and SILCA keys then.
G

Post Reply