250 GTE Tire recommendations

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

airsanford

Re: 250 GTE Tire recommendations

Post by airsanford »

According to several comparison charts, that size is an equivalent to a 205/70 or a 185/80. What I did previously was look up all the specs to compare. The important dimensions are sidewall height and overall diameter.
That Kumho looks like a great option. The specs for that size call out a 6-8" rim width which is just what we need.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

OK, I'd like opinions on the "profile" of the XWX (215 X 70 X15) v. the Kumho (225 X 60 X15). The XWX is my spare mounted, obviously, on the rear of my Daytona with the Kuhmo on the front. Try not to let the lighting and shadows influence your thoughts on this. thanx steve
Attachments
Kuhmo for Yang.JPG
Kuhmo for Yang.JPG (179.64 KiB) Viewed 13520 times
XWX for Yang.JPG
XWX for Yang.JPG (171.1 KiB) Viewed 13520 times
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Photoshop Steve ?
No visible balance lead visible on the outside rims or spokes ?
you must like the real vibrations (yoke).

C.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Well, Cornelis, like my life, they're perfectly balanced! (NOT). Weights to the inside. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Yale

Post by Yale »

I had a conversation with myself reading this and the first thing I said was Kumho's suck but I thought I shouldn't really say that - how bout it's just a real crappy look to have a Daytona and put Kumhos on it. That said I don't like xwx's either, though many do, at least though they look cool. Damn it's a Daytona how many tires are you actually buying? Have you checked out Avons, I use cr6zz's and they are great tires. Not as pretty as the xwx's but so much more pleasant to drive fast and on rough roads with. Also the Blockleys that no one seems to have tried look great. Sure to be my next tire if for no other reason then I'm tired of never hearing from anyone whose used them. Someone has to be first, how about you?
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Yale, thanx for your thoughts on the tires. All of this gets down to some real personal decisions, with no clear-cut right or wrongs. The Michelins are clearly the most "correct", but most expensive and probably not the best in terms of handling. To me, if you're not getting the correct tire, all of the others get lumped together (and there aren't that many choice, Kumho, Avon, Blockley and maybe one or two others) and you choose on what criteria are most important to you
(ie: cost, handling, looks, availability, etc). Without offending your choice, for me it's either the Michelin, be correct, have modest handling and pay a ton, or, a Kumho, pay little, get a great handling tire and know it's "wrong" by most Ferrari standards. Avon and Blockley, check only the great handling "box". They're expensive and no more correct than the Kumho as I see it. Again, hope you won't be offended, as I view this slightly differently.

Despite the fact that many of my friends from racing with the Porsche Club drove on Kumhos, they do sound inherently wrong for a vintage Ferrari (like ketchup on a great steak). I recognize that sense of "incongruity", but they seem no more, and no less, inappropriate than anything other than a Michelin. Still very much undecided. I thought the profiles of the two tires was pretty close. You? thanx again. steve
steve meltzer,
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

OK, i broke down and bought the correct XWX Michelins, gulp. The price from Longstone and from Coker were nearly the same and the attention I received from both was excellent. I ultimately bought them from Coker as I was concerned that if there was a problem, Tennessee was closer than England. Russell at Coker was my service guy and I had the tires within 4 days (including the weekend) and am ready to have them mounted. s
steve meltzer,
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Hi Steve,easy for me to spend your money but I think you made the right pick.Good luck,Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx for the vote of confidence, Mike. We all know these cars will ultimately see the auction block at some point: you can't take 'em with you! Knowing that, and the stratospheric rise in values made it easier to justify the expense. Also, many of us will be lucky enough to own and drive these great cars and then sell them for a significant profit. The expense of the tires can be deducted from Uncle Sam's take on our hard work and good fortune. s
steve meltzer,
Zanny1

Post by Zanny1 »

I have received a recommendation from a reputable shop that has restored several GTE's that Blockley tires a suitable substitute. So I'll ask one more time before leaving this post - has anyone here fitted a set of Blockley 205/70 VR 15 tires to their car? The difference between the Michelin XWX and the Blockley tire is about $700 for a set of 4. I am mainly concerned about (1) ride quality (2) sidewall profile and (3) tire noise.
My Borrani RW 3690 rims are on their way to Cork Adams for a rebuild, so I've got some time to make a decision.
Mike
1971 365 GTC4.... on my second one
zac

Post by zac »

My .02¢ and opinions

XWX tires are expensive and better for show cars post 67', I dont really care for them- as stated in the thread the batches can very and "new" tires can be 2+ years old.

Blocklys are great, look correct and perform good although I've only used them on 50's cars

The Pirelli Centuratos are good and look period correct

Dunlop SPs were a performance tire in the early 60's so are appropriate but I don't have much driving time on the newly produced version.

The Michelin X tires are very nice looking and good touring tires more applicable to the early 60's cars. They only come in limited sizes though

As Yale has mentioned the Avon Cr6zz are fantastic tires although they are about the same price as the XWX and are a very sporty tire intended for spirited driving or light track use. I have a set in the Daytona and they look prefect on a car like that, not sure how they would look or fit in a GTE.

I am also of the school of that that says for long distance touring or rallies run a modern tire that is available off the shelf, the Pirelli P4000s were a fantastic tire but unfortunately no longer produced and didn't come in a full profile tire for the older cars.

I ran a set of $50/each Falcon 215/70/15s in the Miura for 3500 miles this year, for the money modern tire tread designs are light years ahead of what the top tires if the 60's were. No road noise, great milage and shed water much better than the old tires.

The bigger question here for each owner is-What's the intended use for the car? Car shows, touring, spirited rally driving, bad weather driving or track use. That should narrow the decision as well as budget.

The pre 67' cars were really intended to run a full profile tire which not only aids the feel of the suspension but also looks better/more appropriate in the wheel opening.

One of the other optional tires no longer available is the 195R15 tires which were a nice compromise between the 185HR15s and the 205/70/15s

Zac
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Zac,
Maybe I missed something, but the M-B guys recommend some of these, and several of theirs come in 195R15 with different aspect ratios.

http://www.dbtires.com/2013_catalog/201 ... Web_Hi.pdf

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
peterp

Post by peterp »

The XWX seems to be considered "correct" to most people, but they look way too bulbous to my eye. The 330 GT OM doesn't specify tire brand, but there are some photos of the tires. The photo quality isn't great, but tires look sleeker than XWX's to me:

Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
Edward 96GTS

Post by Edward 96GTS »

the xwx was manufactured long after the 330 2+2. would a radial tire have even been installed as orig equipment?
peterp

Post by peterp »

I did a quick search regarding radials and found this: https://autouniversum.wordpress.com/201 ... dial-tire/

It looks like radials were first introduced in 1949 and they were so successful that Michelin discontinued traditional tires in 1952. No idea about the dates for other tire manufacturers, but based on Michelin's dates, it seems likely that the 60's (and probably mid/late 50's) Ferraris would have come with radials. This is just a guess on my part based upon the above -- happy to be corrected if I'm wrong!

Also, the article indicates XWX's weren't introduced until 1968. Maybe they are correct for GTC's and newer cars, but probably not for 330 GT or older.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169