seat belts

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

GEODAVKY

seat belts

Post by GEODAVKY »

The plugs under the rear quarter window must be for a shoulder harness (?), but I cannot locate anything to attach the seat belts to the floor. If there were attachment points for the shoulder harness are there ones for the floor somewhere?
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
DWR46

Re: seat belts

Post by DWR46 »

Geo: Look on the side of the drive shaft tunnel. The original belt attaching points were for a diagonal single belt only. It ran from behind the shoulder across the body to a point on the side of the tunnel. Only some cars had the belts and attaching points. To install modern belts, you will need to make a new, safe attaching point on the outer side of the floor behind the seats.
GEODAVKY

Post by GEODAVKY »

So I should be able to find an attachment point on the tunnel.
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi George,

The easiest way to find the tunnel mounting points is to take a look under the car if you don't have a belly pan installed. You should see a backing plate and a nut welded to the tunnel just behind the transmission cover. From the passenger compartment, this mount will be under the leather cover near the rear seats.
Are you thinking about installing three point harnesses? I've found the tunnel mount to be a little too far back for three point harnesses to fit properly. The optimum mounting point is a little further forward in the car where you would normally find the inboard mount in a modern car. When using the Ferrari mount, it makes the seatbelt ride up on the user. A solution I did on my car using the Ferrari mount was to thread the seatbelt through the seat so the belt would stay low.
I've since changed these belts on my car to match the interior of my car, but you can see how I ran these to the mounts. This was before I ran the belt through the pivot of the seat to keep the belt from riding up on the user.
The outboard seatbelt mount will have to me made. You can either drill a hole through the floor pan and use a large backing plate or washer to distribute the load as long as your floorpans are solid. I welded backing plates to the inner rocker panel for a better installation and stronger attachment point.
These are probably overkill, but there are commercially made backing plates you use.
The reeler and outboard mounting point can be shared.
Here's one I did in a PF Coupe.

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
cory

Post by cory »

While we are on seat belts does anyone know if there were different styles of Irvin seat belts? If so was each meant for a specific model? I have seen the clip buckles that were all natural in appearance. But I have also seen some Irvins that were chromed and a little different configuration. One seemed specific to the 275's and others to the 330's. I have also seen the black boxy style Irvins on the 365 models. Where Irvins specific to the 330GTC and not the GT's?
Thank You
GEODAVKY

Post by GEODAVKY »

Thanks Tom it's very helpful. Wouldn't you know it. I just had a pan made and installed this week!
George
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
peterp

Post by peterp »

cory wrote:While we are on seat belts does anyone know if there were different styles of Irvin seat belts? If so was each meant for a specific model? I have seen the clip buckles that were all natural in appearance. But I have also seen some Irvins that were chromed and a little different configuration. One seemed specific to the 275's and others to the 330's. I have also seen the black boxy style Irvins on the 365 models. Where Irvins specific to the 330GTC and not the GT's?
Thank You
Cory -- I think (not at all positive) that Irvins are correct for 330 GTC's and that Kippans are correct for 330 GT's. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
peterp

Post by peterp »

Also, the 330 GTC I saw yesterday at the Ferrari Fall Festival had original belts -- they were Irvin paratrooper belts and the buckles were natural with small gold emblems.
Peter P
cory

Post by cory »

Peter
I think you are correct regarding the Irvins and Kippans. However I have noticed a subtle difference in some Irvins. Difficult to describe. Seemed that the GTC and 275's are a little different. I will see if I can find some pics to post.
Cory
cory

Post by cory »

cory wrote:Peter
I think you are correct regarding the Irvins and Kippans. However I have noticed a subtle difference in some Irvins. Difficult to describe. Seemed that the GTC and 275's are a little different. I will see if I can find some pics to post.
Cory
Sorry on the spelling. Its Klippan
cory

Post by cory »

Peter, are your klippan belts labeled with a tag? If so what model are they and is there a year stamped on it. I believe the Daytonas all used Klippans but the model of belt changed from year to year: Klippan model 517,562, etc. I was curious to see what model Klippan the earlier 330 ferrari would use.
Thank you
Cory
peterp

Post by peterp »

Cory -- the back of the female receiver part of the buckle is labeled "LYFE-LOK II" (their spelling not mine) and "BHF 5531". The male part of the buckle is labeled "BHF 705518". I don't see any dates on them.
Peter P
cory

Post by cory »

peterp wrote:Cory -- the back of the female receiver part of the buckle is labeled "LYFE-LOK II" (their spelling not mine) and "BHF 5531". The male part of the buckle is labeled "BHF 705518". I don't see any dates on them.
Thank You