250GTE Rear Springs and Shocks

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Zanny1

250GTE Rear Springs and Shocks

Post by Zanny1 »

Having done a lengthy search on this website, I need some basic advice on the 250 GTE rear suspension.
#3177 sags a bit, having 26-1/2" distance between ground level and the top of the fender arch measured through the center of the wheel. Using a jack on the bumper, my eye tells me that this figure should be around 28" or 28-1/2", thus 2" low. I doubt the spring assembly has ever been removed as the bushings look pretty bad. Much of the information on the 'net warns against trying to remove the springs yourself. I have been speaking with a restoration shop that can do this, however they cannot locate new springs. Seems to me the easiest way to do this is install coil over Koni shocks with adjustable spring perches, as I did 10 years ago on my C/4 which worked perfectly.
Tom Wilson's site has a diagram showing this assembly, although it doesn't appear there is enough room between the shock and inner fender well to accommodate a coil over setup. At least, not on my car. There's about a "fingers width" between the upper shock body and the sheet metal.

Has anyone done this on a series 2 car? Where should I begin my search for the right shock/spring/perch assembly? I may still pull the springs to install bushings, but do not want to rebuild all of this and have it sag.
Thanks-
Mike
1971 365 GTC4.... on my second one
tim

Re: 250GTE Rear Springs and Shocks

Post by tim »

Greetings… If you remove the rear springs (not for the faint of heart, I've done it and it scared me) hyou should be able to find a blacksmith shop who can re-arch them. Find the shop first and see what information they need. Some where on the site should be a picture of the fairly substantial jig some one made.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
airsanford

Post by airsanford »

Zanny1

Post by Zanny1 »

tim wrote:Greetings… If you remove the rear springs (not for the faint of heart, I've done it and it scared me) hyou should be able to find a blacksmith shop who can re-arch them. Find the shop first and see what information they need. Some where on the site should be a picture of the fairly substantial jig some one made.

Tim
Thanks Tim.
I thought about this option, but how does one determine the correct amount of "re-arching" required to put the right stance back in the car? Maybe the spring shop knows how to figure this out. Did you re-arch your springs on your car?
Mike
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

I would call a company named Eaton Detroit Springs, they have a web site. I used them to make leaf springs for a rare Prewar American classic. Although they amazingly had the partial spring specifications for my car they are very knowledgeable and may be able to either reverse engineer or guide you to the original specifications so they could make you a new set. The best part was the cost was relatively reasonable costing me about $600 to make a set springs that were used only in 1931 on 230 cars, with only 15 extant today.

Then there is Toasted Ponies.......

Tom in SoCal (not that Tom)
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings… No, I didn't have mine re-arched. I was considering it for one of the Morgans. Re-arching won't affect the spring rate so all they need do is add 2 inches to what is already there.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

From personal experience, removing the leaf spring is not as big a deal as reinstalling it, there is technique to it. If you decide to do so, make sure to ask about the routine. A few folks here have done it.

john
PF Coupe
kare

Post by kare »

I am pretty confident that once you've had the springs removed, you will see what is wrong with them.
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
cory

Post by cory »

John Vardanian wrote:From personal experience, removing the leaf spring is not as big a deal as reinstalling it, there is technique to it. If you decide to do so, make sure to ask about the routine. A few folks here have done it.

john
Great advice John. +1
250GT

Post by 250GT »

kare wrote:I am pretty confident that once you've had the springs removed, you will see what is wrong with them.
Besides worn silant blocks or a broken leaf you can see NOTHING, when they are out.

you must kown how the radius is from new origenal leafsprings or end to end in relaxed unloaded form in cm.

I manage to make one stiffer by putting an extraleaf in between.with longer bolts of course

GTE has 6 ,PF has an 7 Leafs package afaik

GTE has these alublocks/spacer underneath

C.
Attachments
IMG_0217.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg (37.77 KiB) Viewed 13508 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

to bring the spring back in position is not that difficult.
In my student times I did it only with a simple jack in the middle and fixated chassis on the ground
and some piece of wood and man power.
her some pics how the shackle trapeze orientation should be.
but safer is to build with some metal parts a stretching bar see below

C.
Attachments
0017 2.jpg
0017 2.jpg (63.64 KiB) Viewed 13499 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Trapeze orientation of schackle with GTE /330 fixation plate BUT left side!

C.
Attachments
schackleorietation.tiff
schackleorietation.tiff (138.02 KiB) Viewed 13499 times
Zanny1

Post by Zanny1 »

Thanks to all for the great information.
I finally took the plunge and bought a 4-post lift. Today the car goes on the lift so I can rebuild the mechanical fuel pump, fix the non-operating electrical fuel pomp, and change the rear fuel filter. As some of you know, I've had some fuel delivery problems that need immediate attention.
Then will have a look at the rear suspension and try to figure out a viable solution. Will keep this community posted regarding both projects.
Mike
tyang

Post by tyang »

We use a similar spring compressor tool placing the axle plate and spacers between the compressor and spring. With everything lined up, the axle and limiting straps will keep the orientation of the shackles in the right position. It is VERY important to take note of Cornelis' picture of the shackles and their orientation.

With the right tool, this job is less scary. I too have done this job with a jack and pry bars to get the shackles in the correct orientation, and believe me, that's scary!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
treue

Post by treue »

Zanny,

And now the bad news that may await. Out of the ten leaves in the two rear springs of 9129, FIVE were broken. My shop, somehow, got replacements from Tom S. I am dreading those axle-busting chuck holes.

BTW 9129 is done, running and driving. (Yippee) Film at 11

Tom
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)