Daytona Driveability Problem

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DWR46

Re: Daytona Driveability Problem

Post by DWR46 »

Timo: Emission equipment is long gone. Thanks to everybody for their thoughts. I will keep searching to a solution.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Edward 96GTS wrote:i think the key to solving this is the fact that it only happens on an incline.
since it happens only when under extra acceleration load(as opposed to level acceleration), double check the components that come into play under the extra load.
can you duplicate the stumble on a level road when starting out in 2nd gear?
ed
Ed, I believe Mr R. made it fairly clear the "problem" occurs only when attempting take-off from standstill at idle or with absolutely minimum (around 1000 rpm or less) throttle and probably on level ground too, but is more noticeable on uphill.
So next time you (or any one with a Daytona here ?) have a chance to drive it, perhaps try the take-off (both, on level ground or uphill) without touching the throttle pedal at all and report back (?). I'll definitely try this, but unfortunately don't have any "running" examples at my disposal at the moment.
Come to think of it now, this just might be natural occurrence for such a heavy car possibly not possessing as much at idle or very bottom end torque as we might think, especially with such short induction runners (?).
Timo
Edward 96GTS

Post by Edward 96GTS »

timo,
already stated reults in my previous posts.
also, dykes problem i believe is severe enough to where he is slipping the clutch.
ed
Timo

Post by Timo »

DWR46 wrote:Timo: Emission equipment is long gone. Thanks to everybody for their thoughts. I will keep searching to a solution.
Another question, Mr. R.
You stated not having much experience with Euro spec examples, but have you personally had a chance to drive/observe this with other U.S. spec Daytonas for comparison ?
Timo
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Timo: I have limited seat time in Daytonas. That is the primary reason I started this thread, to hopefully, get others experiences who have owned or driven the cars. As I stated previously Mike Pierce has experienced this in at least three other Daytonas. I do give some credence to the comment that the Daytona is fairly heavy car with long gears, and I would not expect it to move off as easily as a lighter 275. I have a couple of things to try tomorrow, but probably I just need to put my foot down and leave when the light turns green!
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

When i get the new tires on my American Daytona (car is resting on loosened KO spinners at the moment) I'll see if the car can be advanced from idle with no throttle. I have my idle at about 1150 so, that with the AC on, it's about 1K or sl. less, but I'll post the data when I get it. Probably will be a few weeks, as I can't decide about the tires....still, a good problem to have! s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Dyke, not a Daytona guy, but I find this thread pretty fascinating, I thought I’d pitch in... my experience with inadequate fuel also showed other signs, like backfiring thru carburetors.

The low-hanging thinking suggests that someone put in a funny set of ring/pinion in the transaxle back when you had lamb chops for sideburns. Ever thought about comparing your road speed@rpm with other owners here?

All the best!

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: Car is confirmed to have stock rear axle ratio.
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

DWR46 wrote:John: Car is confirmed to have stock rear axle ratio.
I know it's a long shot but what about the first gear ratio? Did Ferrari offer different gear ratios? I know Porsche did, I found this while on a Porsche club meet many years ago in 356C, we were driving in the mountains of Colorado and I was smoking EVERYONE on the steep climbs because it turned out my car was special ordered with a lower than standard 3rd and 4th gear, of course my RPM's were running higher than others but I didn't know that until I drove side by side with someone to compare RPM readings.

It was also on this mountain tour that I found I needed to reduce the accelerator pump volume because of the high altitude(6,500) and high ambient temperatures which caused a bog off the line similar to what you describe, after I fixed my car in the parking lot a bunch of other guys

This thread also interest me because I think my car (GTC ) has a somewhat tall first gear relative to other cars but surely not enough for me to question or find annoying.
peterp

Post by peterp »

Dyke - Is there any chance that somebody installed a non-standard (race) clutch disc that doesn't have springs? If so, this seems like it would create a more abrupt load on clutch release that might make it stumble at low RPM's.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

I can confirm that you can engage the clutch at idle and the car will pull away on a level surface, without any throttle application.

Peter: Clutch may have something to do with this.Car has original clutch, and it has always been smooth on initial engagement, then it sort of "drops in" at the end. This is when the "bog" occurs. This can be avoided with careful release and more throttle. Car has had this condition for the last 20 years that I know of. Sort of like a disc spring is broken and you get a more sudden engagement. Clutch never "judders". Best solution is to modify the driver input.
Edward 96GTS

Post by Edward 96GTS »

what does any clutch " juddering" mean?
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Ed: Clutch "judder" is when a clutch will not release smoothly. It will grab, release, grab, release, etc. as you try to drive off. This will cause the whole car to "judder" or shake. Many times this is due to oil on the driven disc or a warped pressure plate or disc.
Edward 96GTS

Post by Edward 96GTS »

was the problem sorted? cause?
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Ed: I have messed with this car and its quirks for 20 years, so I doubt it will get solved tomorrow. Last time I drove it, it was fine except for starting on hills.