fuel additives

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Edward 96GTS

fuel additives

Post by Edward 96GTS »

thinking about adding fuel additives to my daytona. first adding chevron tech additive commonly sold at costco, autozone, etc.
this to help clear any fuel "sludge" from system, then refill tank and add Lucas fuel conditioner and stabilizer that also is suppose to neutrilize the effects of ethanol in the gas. it is also suppose to add a lubricating effect.
welcome any comments.
thanks,
ed
peterp

Re: fuel additives

Post by peterp »

I am a fan of Marvel Mystery Oil. In general, I'm pretty reluctant to use any additives so always I read a lot before I use anything. I've read nothing but good things about MMO and have never seen a negative comment about it. The formula I guess is as old as time itself, but it seems to work. It is supposed to help lubricate the throttle shafts in addition to cleaning deposits. I don't think my engine has built-up deposits, but I feel like it runs better with MMO anyway.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I like additives. I have consistently used Redline Lead Substitute and Marvel's Mystery Oil. Once in a great while I add a pint of carburettor cleaner to a full tank. The lead substitute works, because I can tell from the sound of the engine at off-throttle that the valves seal better.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Ah ha, a favorite subject. For what it is worth, here are my views.

1. Marvel Mystery Oil - I use it in all the older cars as it has been proven to add lubricity to the fuel (today's fuel is too dry). This enables the valves in both the electric and mechanical fuel pumps to seal better. I suspect it also has some additional lubrication benefits to throttle shafts, valve guides, etc.

2. I am surprised more people do not know about No-Rosion. This is a coolant additive. I originally discovered this when we were searching for cooling system corrosion protectants for our vintage race cars. Most sanctioning bodies do not allow antifreeze because it is so slippery when spilled on the track. We were not comfortable with just leaving water in the cooling systems and we also did not want to fill the cooling system full of stop-leak products. No-Rosion was originally designed for industrial boiler systems and the company has adapted it to automotive use. They have a website but do little national advertising. The classic car hobby has discovered this product and it is quiet popular. They base all their claims on independent laboratory analysis and can provide detailed test results. We use 1 oz. of No-Rosion per quart of coolant. You can use it with either water or antifreeze. Pre-1993 cars should use conventional antifreeze only (not long-life) and by using No-Rosion we extend the 2-year change interval to 5 years.

3. No-Rosion also makes a Combustion Optimizer. This is a fuel system additive that stabilizes ethanol in fuel and cleans fuel systems. We have just recently started to use this product. The cars that we keep in Arizona suffer greatly from the quality of fuel there. Many times cars that only set for a few weeks will no longer start and the carburetors fill with a white residue. We ran our own independent tests by taking the old, degraded fuel and adding the Combustion Optimizer product to it. We let the glass jars sit for 2-3 weeks and the fuel with the additive cleared up and became usable. We generally only add this when the car will be sitting for a length of time either over the winter or in storage. Again, the company can supply technical data to support their product.

4. I would discuss my usage of Silicone brake fluid but I am probably in enough trouble already.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Dyke, I discovered No-Rosion a couple years ago and put a half a bottle in once a year with fresh tap water. BTW, do you use anti-freeze?
Is there a real benifit in silicon fluid if you change your mineral fluid once a year?
Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: For the street cars, we use antifreeze. For the race cars, just No-Rosion and water. Water absorbs heat much better than antifreeze. As to Silicone fluid, there is a thread on the Maserati section of Ferrari Chat now, and all the old wives tales about silicone fluid are being repeated. If you change your regular fluid annually, I would see no real benefit to using silicone, except for paint protection. I am too lazy to change all our brake fluids that often. In the modern street cars (with ABS brakes), we use Valvoline High Performance Synthetic Brake Fluid and in the race cars, we use Motul 600.
Edward 96GTS

Post by Edward 96GTS »

dyke,
why only regular coolant in pre 1993 cars? long life coolant mixes with regular coolant so it must be somewhat similar.
Edward 96GTS

Post by Edward 96GTS »

dyke,
as an aside, what is the fuel capacity of the daytona fuel tanks and how accurate do you find the gas guage? i dont drive often enough to top up the tanks.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Ed: Contrary to what is says on the bottles, Long-Life antifreeze DOES NOT mix with Conventional antifreeze and will create problems in cars that have historically used the Conventional antifreeze. The sooner you switch back to Conventional antifreeze, the better so you will minimize the internal problems. I will post the No-Rosion bulletin on this subject.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Attached is the No-Rosion Bulletin about Antifreeze and cooling systems. It contains a lot of good information.
1-No Rosion_1.jpg
1-No Rosion_1.jpg (151.46 KiB) Viewed 11711 times
1-No Rosion_2.jpg
1-No Rosion_2.jpg (198.53 KiB) Viewed 11711 times
2-No Rosion_3.jpg
2-No Rosion_3.jpg (149.86 KiB) Viewed 11711 times
3-No%20Rosion_4.jpg
3-No%20Rosion_4.jpg (155.5 KiB) Viewed 11694 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Its always nice in this kind of discussions the pro and contra`s

Well I dont think additives use anything positive, and is more a kind of money printing for the producers.
I do not use water in my cooling sytems at all. Everything replaced by Evans cooling fluid.
All my valveseats prepared for the new gasoline
I don´t have the time to drive my cars all myself on regular basis.
But a few student love to do this for fun.
Additives is a bit like using high octane gas for normal road cars

It may seem like buying higher octane “premium” gas is like giving your car a treat, or boosting its performance. But take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage, or run cleaner.
The only time you might need to switch to a higher octane level is if your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel. This happens to a small percentage of cars.
Fuels with a higher octane rating are used in high performance petrol engines that require higher compression ratios !

I do compare this with parents who will have the best for there "children"

But if its give you the right feeling why not.

but to say :
"because I can tell from the sound of the engine at off-throttle that the valves seal better."

is pure daydreaming to me.

Yes I do use Silicone brake fluid because it replace the Lockheeds agressive hygroscopic supension and brake fluid(LHS_2) in one of my cars
that car use 5 liter LHS-2 of this.

I wrote this before ,but over 30 years now ,I only drive vintage pre 1972 cars.
i don NOT have a modern car at all, but drive about 50K km a year, that are prox 45K miles
never blow up any engine till now.

nice weekend to you all

C.

P.S I am missing the old lead sub. fuel
especially after a long run the inside of the exhaust was so nicely WHITE.
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

How much MMO ,lets say per 20 gallons ,have you guys found best? Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

I follow the instructions on the bottle, 4 oz per 10 gal of gas.
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Thanks Dyke,happy motoring.Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Just to add to Dykes comment about long life antifreeze, it is much thinner than the standard fluid, and leaks can be a problem with it. The pre '93 gaskets and seals were not designed for this type of antifreeze. Jim