Fuse panel clean up

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jumprun

Fuse panel clean up

Post by Jumprun »

My latest project while I wait for my radiator. I cleaned up the fuse panel and all the connections. I also inspected and bench tested all the relays. One of the confusing things about the wiring diagram is that it doesn't show how many terminals are landed on each fuse...it gets crowded in there. The other stange thing is that I have the A/C relay and both radiator cooling fans but no A/C and absolutley no evidence A/C was ever installed in my car. The relay on the left in the picture is the C.E.A.M. A/C relay, the center one is a Magneti Marelli for the fan(s) the one on the right is the C.E.A.M. ignition relay, and the small one middle left is the FIAMM horn relay.
I'm fortunate my car has never been molested so there was no sins to correct.

Notice the red paint daubed on each corner bolt of the panel, this is the original paint color of my car, I wonder what the purpose of this was? It's on the bottom cornes too, not shown.

Tom In Socal.
a bit dirty but amazingly untouched.
a bit dirty but amazingly untouched.
fuse board ferrari 001.jpg (79.56 KiB) Viewed 6763 times
Nice and clean now so I don't get my hands as dirty when crapped out on the side of the road
Nice and clean now so I don't get my hands as dirty when crapped out on the side of the road
fuse board ferrari.jpg (73.58 KiB) Viewed 6763 times
Jimmyr

Re: Fuse panel clean up

Post by Jimmyr »

Tom, also be sure that you have removed each wire and cleaned the ends, especially the ones that are in the 1 inch square jumper block with the 4 set screws. They have three different metals touching each other and all carry heavy amps - they oxidize easily. Ditto for the fuse ends and the holders. Best to use all new fuses from the get go. Jim
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: Jim taught me about those 4 connector blocks (and the "staples" inside them) 40 years ago. I was waiting for him to chime in on this thread. Of course, all this probably says more about our age than our knowledge.
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Thanks for the comments. I did clean up the connector blocks, I took them off the panel and polished the insides as well as the wire ends and the staples, one block had some apparently home made staples made from heavy copper wire.

Another interesting thing I found was several un-landed ground wires behind the panel just floating around, or what I assumed were ground wires because they were small gauge black wire with terminal rings on them, so I attached them all to ground...hmm I wonder if I did the right thing or maybe I should have left things as I found them?

--Tom in Socal
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Tom, the heavy copper staples are original, that is how they did the jumpers. As for the "black" wires, do not assume they are all grounds. You may want to trace them out if you can, or measure them to see if there is any voltage on them. I use a small battery charger to power things when doing work on the system. In that way any shorts will not have the full battery power that could burn or melt things. Jim
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Jimmyr wrote:Tom, the heavy copper staples are original, that is how they did the jumpers. As for the "black" wires, do not assume they are all grounds. You may want to trace them out if you can, or measure them to see if there is any voltage on them.
I did trace one down and it was a ground wire to the windshield washer pump, which was working fine without the ground wire, and since the loose wires had the same ring terminal it seemed only logical that these were also redundant ground wires. It's difficult to imagine they would leave a hot wire with a ring terminal floating but I like your idea to apply a low power source to check things, I will do so to be absolutely sure.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Jumprun wrote: It's difficult to imagine they would leave a hot wire with a ring terminal floating ...
From what I've seen, this would be one of the least mind boggling surprises found in assembly or manufacturing methods of vintage Ferraris. Of 10+ Daytonas I've worked on almost all have had similar wiring issues which most I've concluded to have originated from initial assembly/installation of harness. On many, these issues had been "corrected" with various efforts of by-passing or modified "jumping" from another power source and many seemed quite clearly done when given cars were close to new.
I might've mentioned before but of the 4 variations of factory(?) issued diagrams for Daytonas I've procured over the years, none are even close to accurate or complete, some even having enough inaccuracies that if these were used during initial assembly, no wonder so many had aforementioned necessary(?) "by-pass" operations to get cars out the factory doors.
I wouldn't be surprised if some were even been subjected to severe electrical fires or meltdowns before being shipped out.
Timo
Timo

Post by Timo »

Forgot to mention that within last few years I have researched and compiled my own fairly accurate and complete variation of U.S.-spec diagram which I might make available (for a fee) in the near future if any one is interested.
I'm also researching and confirming details for Euro-spec diagram, but since I've only had access to 2 specimen so far (one currently in the shop had its harness severely "butchered" by some previous entities attempting to "restore" the car), it might take awhile before I've collected enough data to provide reasonably good results.
Timo