Cam Cover Nuts

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Cam Cover Nuts

Post by John Vardanian »

Are the replacement nuts that are available today (ebay, etc.) an exact match in appearance for the original nuts? I am wondering if I should have mine redone or by a new set. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
Edward 96GTS

Re: Cam Cover Nuts

Post by Edward 96GTS »

newco products has the correct nuts and other things.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Be aware that some acorn nuts on eBay and other places are really incorrect (if that matters to you). I bought mine from GT Car parts in Az, a bit more than a buck a piece. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks.
Steve are the ones from Arizona correct? I presume you got them for your Daytona and it's the same item as the 250GT.

john
PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I actually got them for the GTC, but I think they 're all the same. Maybe Dyke or others more knowledgeable can chime in, but they're different than the 100 I bought cheap on eBay. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Steve Meltzer wrote:I actually got them for the GTC, but I think they 're all the same. Maybe Dyke or others more knowledgeable can chime in, but they're different than the 100 I bought cheap on eBay. s
Again Steve, I must correct you, I am so sorry,

Most restoshops buy at" maserati source" simply plating is much more work.

"Know-one see the difference"

But Jaques B. is not so fit on our F-cars.

I think more a Maserati-guy.

And these are as you mentioned cheap and work nevertheless fine

Steve, 3 possibilities see below only one can be the right one

John you need 6 more for you Nardi steering wheel on the back side.

ciao
C.
Attachments
IMG_0756.jpg
IMG_0756.jpg (93.66 KiB) Viewed 12291 times
IMG_0757.jpg
IMG_0757.jpg (83.68 KiB) Viewed 12291 times
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

OK, Cornelis are you saying that GT Car Parts gets them from Jaques at Maserati Source? (He's a good guy, or at least my dealings with him were excellent when I had my Ghibli...RIP, sold too early). The top picture's nuts are like the ones I bought and believe to be correct for my GTC, and Daytonas. The second photo's nuts are like the ones I bought on eBay and work fine, but, to a good eye are incorrerct, me thinks. What's the third choice? s
steve meltzer,
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi All,
Here are some differences in the acorn nuts I have found.
The one on the left is more like the ones being sold and is correct for 275s, 330s, and newer engines. The center one is what I call a tall acorn nut which I have found on 250 cars. The one on the right is a stainless steel replacement, a popular product from FAF in the 70s that everyone used to replace their rusty acorn nuts.

I would be curious if the judges notice the differences when looking at these cars...

The stainless steel nuts are a real easy thing to spot, but the short and tall acorn nuts are a little harder to spot.

I have replated, and purchased new nuts. When sending out a large batch of Cad Plating, it costs about the same as buying new.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Timo

Post by Timo »

tyang wrote:Hi All,
I would be curious if the judges notice the differences when looking at these cars...
Some do, some don't..., but most cars on many events seem to have too many, much more important things wrong with them anyway, so minute details like this or tool rolls don't necessarily save the day and should perhaps be last things to worry about when submitting a car for judging.
Timo
zac

Post by zac »

One other thing to note is that the the original "accorn" nuts are yellow nylocks just like some of the other hardware on the cars. The replacements I have seen do not have the nylock and tend to loosen up over time. As much as these cars like to leak the nylock on the nut helps prevent a little of the weapage out of the stud. Unfortuantely when you zinc/cad plate the hardware for the car it destroys the nylon so I guess it's a catch 22.

Zac
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
Edward 96GTS

Post by Edward 96GTS »

i would characterize the middle one as "flat top", as it looks like someone took a hammer and flattened the round top. the top dome is less rounded.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks everyone, I learned a lot about nuts. So, are new replacements that look like the middle one (tall hat one) available nowadays? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote:Thanks everyone, I learned a lot about nuts. So, are new replacements that look like the middle one (tall hat one) available nowadays? Thanks.

john
I think the replacement looks more like the left one. The flats, where the wrench grabs is slightly shorter than the ones I've found on the 250 cars.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

zac wrote:One other thing to note is that the the original "accorn" nuts are yellow nylocks just like some of the other hardware on the cars. The replacements I have seen do not have the nylock and tend to loosen up over time. As much as these cars like to leak the nylock on the nut helps prevent a little of the weapage out of the stud. Unfortuantely when you zinc/cad plate the hardware for the car it destroys the nylon so I guess it's a catch 22.

Zac
Hi Zac,

Good point. A black oxide wave washer also helps keep the acorns in place.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

In Tom's photo, the nut on the left is for 308 and later, the center nut is correct for 250 (from about #500?), 275, 330, 365. The nut on the right is for early cars when done in black oxide.