Cross Country in a 1964 Ferrari?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Yale

Cross Country in a 1964 Ferrari?

Post by Yale »

Well it's winter here in the East Coast of the US and I am thinking, maybe dreaming, about driving cross country in the F car this summer. And I wonder how many of you live between the coasts and how many places are there between N.Y. City and Portland Oregon that I can get to work on the car in case of trouble. (Oregon is a destination because I have never been there.)

And maybe this comes back to a discussion on this board a few winters ago about having a list of reputable places to get your car worked on. So any thoughts from you nattering nabobs?

Yale

1964 330GT
mikemeade

Post by mikemeade »

Well,
I can't say that I know much about where you can have your car repaired, but I can't faul your choice of destination. I love Portland, and in Summer it can be extra nice. If you get out here, I'll buy you a beer. Of course I don't have a Ferrari, but I could swap MG stories for your Ferrari ones. I have seen a few more modern Ferraris in a shop that is downtown, but I don't really have any references to share.

Sounds like a great trip, I hope that you get to make it.

Mike
fest

all the way

Post by fest »

one of my Ferrari regrets
(thus far) is
NOT having made the trip...

I bought my car out of PA
and had it transported
out here to OR
but
I had the notion
of driving it back
with my Dad,
as he has been talkin about
a cross country trip
for a few years now
but just had not been able to
put it together...
we decided against it, tho

Now I know that we would have
gotten NAILED with the weather that March
as it was particularly dreadful
and that the Transmission was iffy
likewise, the Timing Chain,
still, I DO regret not making the trip

that said
I echo Mike's sentiment of welcoming you to OR
and have a well equipped 'Ferrari' Shop
at your disposal, if the need arises...

I am thinking about the drive to Monterey this year
(iff'n my car is done...maybe a CONVOY?)
Yale

Coast to Coast?

Post by Yale »

So does the lack of response to this thought mean nobody on this list lives between the east and west coasts, or nobody who lives in the middle of the country gets their Ferrari fixed there, or are we all so bowled over by the new addition to Tom's family that we are left speechless? Best, Yale 6097
JAshburne

Post by JAshburne »

Yale

I live in CT, but if you aren't already familiar, check the Ferrari Club of America links section for the Northwest Region and then the "Ferrari Support Rolodex" on:

http://www.ferrariclubofamerica.org/

for a list of 276 Ferrari related service organizations around the country. There is a PowerSearch feature where you can search by the states along your planned route to find shops that you may need.

Good luck!

John Ashburne
Yale

Post by Yale »

Ok that is an idea, however after owning this car for the past four years I see a marked difference in places that people recommend to work on your car over places that are just listed as working on Ferrari's. Best, Yale
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I am afraid that I cannot help you with the mid-west, but if you swing south to Los Angeles or San Francisco, I would love to buy you a steak and hear about the trip! I don't know too many GTE owners here in LA, but there are a couple of guys on this board in the San Francisco Bay area that I would like to meet as well. Let me know if you plan on coming our way and I will try to arrange something.
JAshburne

Post by JAshburne »

Agreed, however it's probably better than what you have so far. As you get a "preferred list" of recommended places, you can move them to the top of your list and choose based on your location.

Good luck

John
John Ashburne
1983 400i 5 speed, silver/black
Yale

Post by Yale »

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the invite. John I downloaded all the mechanics on the Ferrari Rolodex list and arranged them by state and I will probably make a little book out of it for the car. Of course evreybody works in California, but Texas and Washington also have quite a few. They only list one for New York, Michigan, Minn, Ohio, Utah, Nebraska, (amazing there is one), though. Best, Yale
treue

Post by treue »

Hi Yale,

I know of Ferrari of Dallas and Bob Smith (Coachworks) in Gainsville. Bob has a world class reputation as a Ferrari restorer, but I don't know about doing routine or emergency repairs. Rob Lay of Ferrarichat may have more info on shops in the Dallas area that work on older Ferraris. I (in SE OK) also have some experience, owning and working on the 330.

You're certainly welcome to stay at my humble abode on your way west.

Tom Treue
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
330 America

Post by 330 America »

Yale - Dallas has got a couple good F-car repair options, including Lamborghini/Dallas as they stole a couple of Ferrari/Dallas' top mechanics -- including Mike Luongo (20+ years experience). Mike's going to set up my 330 America when I bring it up from the port of Houston tomorrow.

However, Dallas is way out of the way if you're going PA to Portland. Instead, you need some strategically located help points in Cleveland, Chicago, Omaha, and then cross your fingers as you head into desolate country in Wyoming/Montana and across Idaho until you enter Oregon.

I too am thinking real hard about a road trip with mine next year (hmmm....summer in Stowe. Vermont?) but the concerns are the same regarding reliability -- however, driving Dallas to Rutland does have more large city stops in case of a needed repair (Tennesee, Ohio, PA, NY).

Good luck with it either way....if you're down this way, we'll get out the Texas-sized steaks (and stories).
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)
oldfart3

Colorado Ferrari garage

Post by oldfart3 »

If you decide to take a southerly route through the Colorado Rockies (which I strongly recommend), Mike's Performance Headquarters in Englewood (suburb of Denver) is an excellent resource for maintenance and repairs. He's been the travelling mechanic for the Colorado Grand, and has vast experience with vintage Ferraris.

There are also some wonderful Ferrari roads in Western Colorado and in Utah with some of the most spectacular scenery on earth and VERY little traffic, some of which I've sampled in my Lusso and more to come when I finish my restoration.

John Tarr
Sleeper

Post by Sleeper »

When passing through Montana, if you need help, call Auto Tech in Helena.
Bruce is a master, and worked for a well known Drag Racing Team in California for many years.
He's got the state of the art equipment, and knows his way around an 8 as well as the 12.
rodog

Post by rodog »

Yale-

Over the last several months I have been researching the possibility of purchasing a Vintage Ferrari. Part of my research was to try and find a mechanic - who has worked on Ferraris. I looked through the Rolodex at the fca-nw web site. I found a mechanic here in Evansville, Indiana ( yeah kind of amazing to me!) in that Rolodex:
Danny Simonson
Foriegn Performance
812-473-0770.
I spoke with someone there about this ( my VW is in there for repairs). He tells me there are several Ferraris in a 200 mile radius that they work on. I have no references though. Evansville is close to I-64 one of several western routes. He stated if you came this way he could help if needed.
Stop and say hi if you come this way.
Have a safe trip,
Greg
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Yale: If you went via Washington DC, Grand Touring nearby in Maryland does good work, and Chuck Wray the owner would likely help an epic cross country participant in distresss. I would be happy to show you the city, and a picture in front of the White House or the Pentagon would be a great addition to the scrap book, Michael Bayer