Vintage Front-Engine V12 Tires & Wheels

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

WillS

Vintage Front-Engine V12 Tires & Wheels

Post by WillS »

Hello,
Here's my problem and how far I've gotten in research. I am looking for a set of 15" diameter x 32mm hub alloy wheels for my 330GTC, or a set of modern 14" tires of the correct diameter (205/80/VR14, 215/75/VR14, or 225/70/VR14, but all definitely must be 780 revs/mile) for the 10 hole OEM Campagnolo 40414 alloys I have on the car now. The wheel I would like to find & purchase is an alloy with a 32mm hub, correct offsets (I don't know what they are) for a 330/365 GTC, and 15", or even 16" in diameter. The correct OEM origional 330/365 GTC alloy wheel I have now is a "7L x 14", which is stamped on the outside side of the wheel and also listed as such in the OEM GTC spare parts book. The inside side of the wheel has "Campagnolo" & "40414" cast into it in raised letters/numbers. They have 10 square holes in them.

I've looked and looked for a 15" wheel that fits a 330/365 GTC (i.e., 32mm hub) and the only thing I could find was a set of Borrani wire wheels for a 275 GTB/C. They are a 15" wheel with a 32mm center and have the same offsets as a GTC's 32mm 7Lx14 alloy wheel, so they would fit. These 275 GTB/C Borranis were just under US$6,000.00 for a set of four--when they are available. I won't go that route because I come pretty close with a set of Coker 205VR14 XWXs on my 14" Borrani wires (for show). For performance however, I want to get a set of 32mm, 6"-to-7.5" x 15" (maybe 16"?) Alloy wheels, not wire wheels. I would fork out $6K for a set of those. But this appears to be a Very Tall Order.

If I cannot find 32mm x 15" or 16" wheels, then the best performance 14" tires (that are of the correct diameter for my OEM 7Lx14 Campy 40414 alloys--i.e., 780 revs/mile or 205/(80 to 82)/14 and fill the wheel wells properly) I could come up with were 225/70/14 Yokohama Avid S/Ts (786 revs/mile). They're about the best compromise I've found, almost the only one. The Kumho Touring A/S 215/75/14 is very close at 781 revs/mile, but it just isn't that good a performer. I have Pirelli P77 205/70/14s on the car now and it looks like it's on roller skates, but it handles well. I'm trying to have my cake by getting a good performance tire that also looks right in the wheel wells, again this appears to be a Very Tall Order.

Does anyone know of a 32mm x 15" alloy that will fit a 330GTC (i.e., correct offsets), or a modern, high performance 14" tire of the correct diameter (i.e., 780 revs/mile) that will fit 330GTC OEM Campagnolo 40414 alloys properly? I can get modern high performance V-Rated 205/70/14s, but the roller skate look is not what I want. There are 14", 780 rev/mile truck tires out there, but they don't have the grip or speed rating I need, never mind looking really stupid on the car.

As an aside, what does the 32 mean? It's not mm, nor is it the # of splines, as I was told by a Ferrari expert friend of mine. The Campy 40414 has 66 splines and the diameter of the hub is about 57mm.
Regards,
Will
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Will,

Wow! You done a lot of thinking on this one, and I'm embarrased to say that I have done a similar amount of research on my wheels and tires!

I think he "32" or the "42" designations have something to do with a British measurement of the hubs, but I hope someone can help me on this.

Another thing to consider is the amount of lateral stress you may be putting on spokes and suspension with stickier tires. I know Yale was having trouble with popped spokes on his 330GT 2+2 (NYC potholes) and switched to a set of 15 inch alloys from a Series II 330GT 2+2. I wonder what the offset is for these wheels?

A while back I wanted to find a set of 205-80-15s for my 330 America, but came up empty handed. I was told Avon made a nice touring tire in that size, but found the price prohibitive, not to mention hard to get in the States.

For the $6K I wonder if you can have a set of wire wheels made up with whatever rim size you desire. With the the low-rider community embracing wire wheels, I'm sure you can find a shop that offers rims with the same amount of spokes as a Ferrari hub, and can lace them up to the correct offset. Just another thought!

Tom
Ruedi

Post by Ruedi »

Will,

Your friend is correct. The designations 32, 42, and 52 have no correlation to an actual measurement or the number of splines.

I was told these designations stem from the drawing numbers that defined certain types of the original Rudge design. I have been trying to find original Rudge drawings that confirm this. So far, no luck.

So, I think it will be very difficult to find a non-Rudge wheel to fit. Have you checked with Ted Waibel of http://www.tawvehicle.com or http://www.britishwirewheel.com if they know of alloy substitutes?

Ruedi
WillS

Post by WillS »

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the input! Both Reudi and Bill365 have said that the 32, 42, 52 designations are just model or drawing numbers, nothing else. Bill365 mentioned that the 32 and 42 are BSW (British Standard Whitworth) threads and 2 1/8" & 2 3/8" diameter hubs, respectively.

What I want is an Alloy wheel of 32 x 15" that will fit my 330GTC. IMO, I can feel my Borrani wire wheels flex more than the Campagnolo alloys when I'm running hard. So I keep the Borranis with XWXs for show, but would like a set of 32 x 15" alloys with modern tires for performance.

Bottom line appears to be that there is no such animal as a Rudge type alloy of 32 x 15" measurement. If I had 42 hubs instead of those blasted 32s, I'd be in business...... :roll:

Will
WillS

Post by WillS »

Ruedi,
Thanks for the website and other tips. TAW has a great table for Borrani wheel sizes and applications! I'll give Ted a call.

Will
Ruedi

Post by Ruedi »

Will,

If you get Ted on the phone, ask him about the Ferraris he had.

With respect to Borrani designations, I came to believe that the "RW" in the wheel designation stand for Rudge-Withworth. The Borrani logo gives tribute to Rudge-Withworth by using the hand and spokes of the Rudge-Withworth logo.

It should not be a problem to fit type 42 hubs on your car. Going the other way would be a problem though, as the outer wheel bearings of a 32 hub are smaller than a 42 (which is smaller than a type 52 hub). British Wire Wheel and a company in the UK may be able to make these hubs for you.

Good luck,

Ruedi