Stuck Boxer Clutch

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DrewA

Stuck Boxer Clutch

Post by DrewA »

Just got my carbed Boxer together after an engine out service and the clutch is stuck to the flywheel. It probably sat for 6 months while I redid the dash then did the engine out.

I manually confirmed the lever is actuating. Tried putting the car in 2nd with clutch engauged and and bumping the starter several times - with and without brakes on. No luck. The starter on this car might be a bit weak.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Drew
DWR46

Re: Stuck Boxer Clutch

Post by DWR46 »

Drew: If you can get the car to the street, get the motor running and warmed up in neutral. Shut off the motor, put car in 1st gear, push clutch pedal to floor and hit the starter. Car should jerk forward and start. Run down street at about 1,500 rpm with clutch pedal on floor as you quickly get on and off the throttle to jerk the clutch free. This usually works.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Dyke,
How to put in neutral when clutch is engaged? …..not possible IMO.
You can let it only run when the rear wheels are lift up only( 4 point bridge)
I would suggest take out the plugs so you have more swing with full batterie , and press the brakes full again.

C.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Cornelus: Even is the clutch is stuck, you can still shift the car with the engine turned off. You can run the motor all you want with the gearbox in neutral. You just cannot shift it into a gear with the engine running. Please reread my first post.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Obviously, you have to push or coast the car out of the garage to the street. This is not that complicated. You may have to drive it a few blocks, but it WILL release the clutch. Done it dozens of times over the last 50 years.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

DrewA,
Can you conform that you're car is hopping forward or backwards is you try to start?
thanks

C.
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Thanks guys,

Yes it bumps forward when I have it in second with clutch engauged. I can start it in neutral; just will not go into gear as Dyke said when running and clutch engauged.

Had not thought to try to start in first on the street but sounds like next step. will get it warmed up and give it a shot. I think if I can get it going in first gear I could break it loose.

Let you good folks know.

Drew
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Thanks drewA,
i would not try it that way either.
So lift the back by two jacks and try it my way to avoid other damage.
it must be only some oxidation(rust) on the flywheel that stuck he clutch disk.
best

C.
330GT

Post by 330GT »

On my 330, after sitting in a damp garage for a long while, my clutch rusted to the pressure plate. I cut a stick to hold the clutch in so I could drive it and brake hard at the same time to break it free. Didn't get around to trying it for a week or so. With just the stick in place, the clutch released on its own.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think what I am going to do is cut a 2x4 to hold the clutch in, put the rear tires in the air on jack stands, star the car in first gear, get it warmed up then see if between the combination of break and throttle I can break it free.

If that does not do it then put the car on the ground and see if I can start it in gear, get it rolling and then use Dyke's method to free.

Hopefully try this weekend and let you guys know.

Apreciate,

Drew