Crazy idea?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Michael Bayer

Crazy idea?

Post by Michael Bayer »

You have all likely seen the posts from fellow who has the 330 body only and is attempting to restore it. I see on Bring a Trailer there is a Ferrari 400 frame for sale Could that be cut down for the 330? He is never going to have his all back whole but in the long tradition of Bugatti bitsas any Ferrari linage frame is beter than no frame Thoughts?
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
Lowell

Re: Crazy idea?

Post by Lowell »

Some time ago, I posted the following on FerrariChat
Comments on '59 TR replica?
I would appreciate hearing any comments any one might have about a replica of a
'59 Testa Rosa constructed from a Series I 330 GT. Here is a link describing the car:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrquuuxxad...ssa%201959.pdf
I have my own opinion about this car, and I would like to find out if it agrees with what
you guys will say.

I then posted this:
Thanks for all the comments.
My involvement started when a friend asked me what I thought of the car. I replied:
Does not look very much like a real one. You could always re-body it as a 330GT 2+2.
I am happy that most agree.
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
tyang

Post by tyang »

Michael Bayer wrote:You have all likely seen the posts from fellow who has the 330 body only and is attempting to restore it. I see on Bring a Trailer there is a Ferrari 400 frame for sale Could that be cut down for the 330? He is never going to have his all back whole but in the long tradition of Bugatti bitsas any Ferrari linage frame is beter than no frame Thoughts?
I would measure the track width of these two chassis. I always feel the 400s are a wider car, but that could just be a perception. Anyone have the specs?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
peterp

Post by peterp »

Michael Bayer wrote:You have all likely seen the posts from fellow who has the 330 body only and is attempting to restore it. I see on Bring a Trailer there is a Ferrari 400 frame for sale Could that be cut down for the 330? He is never going to have his all back whole but in the long tradition of Bugatti bitsas any Ferrari linage frame is beter than no frame Thoughts?
I think (not positive) that Darren is pretty far along in building his own frame. When he first posted that thread, I thought there was no way to bring that car back, particularly since he has a an extremely tight budget, but it is amazing what he has accomplished. He was having some health issues and hasn't posted much recently, so I hope all is well with him. There are still bodies that come to market once in a while, so it seems like a good idea if the chassis can be made to fit.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169