Houdaille Shocks

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

Houdaille Shocks

Post by enio45 »

In my quest looking for the correct shocks for the Ellena Project Car - i contacted Dan that advertises in Hemmings and other places for Houdaile Shocks. He indicated some months back that he is making molds and parts to remanufacture these rare shocks.

Today i got an email indicating that he is close to starting production.....below is the email...

"We are very close to completing 100% exact reproductions of the Houdaille shock absorbers used on vintage Ferraris. Due to the extensive labor and materials involved in this project, I am anticipating the cost per shock to be $5000 each, custom fitted to your precise application. This is a realization of the vision I had to provide the industry a solution to the long existing problem of obtaining original shocks for these classic automobiles. Please let me know if you are ready to place an order and I can begin final assembly."

I was surprised by the cost per shock.....i sent him an email to see if this was an error.... :shock:
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
Admiral Goodwrench

Re: Houdaille Shocks

Post by Admiral Goodwrench »

Dan was Sherman Wolf's chief wrench. He had the complete setup to overhaul and dyno test and set the Houdaille shocks. In 2003 I sent the four shocks from the 500 Mondial to him for overhaul. The total price tag at that time was just under $1,200. The estimated cost for a total reproduction seems in line, however I would suggest that there probably are suitable used ones available and not necessarily from the early Ferraris, in which case overhaul would be less expensive than new reproduction.

Best regards,
Robert
500 Mondial SII 0556(0446)/MD
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

enio45: The shock bodies are fairly uniform, what is unique are the "arms". They had many different arms for various model cars. Ferrari's used numerous different length and shape shock arms. I agree with the Admiral, in that you can probably find used shocks, but be careful in determining the correct arm shape and length.
enio45

Post by enio45 »

I have my arms for my car - just missing the shocks......

Anyhow - i was curious if the price was acceptable to the market....might be fair, i was just wondering?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

A question... Is there anything perishable inside these shocks? If the shock hold fluid and does not leak, is it safe to assume that all is well with it. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

John Vardanian wrote:A question... Is there anything perishable inside these shocks? If the shock hold fluid and does not leak, is it safe to assume that all is well with it. Thanks.

john
As long as you do not put olive oil inside its not perishable John
I did get back for year out of the US a set of overhauld ones for about 400 usd each but in the 90th I think
I did got a nigtmare to find out after the were in place again.
On the larg fixation nuts thre are two letter S&D possibility´s .. for left and right .they mixed those............
So there was no real good demping, better say impossible to drive: like a duck.

IMPORTANT :When you move the houdaille arm down it must go HEAVY.
Up it goes MUCH lighter.

Inside the hodaille there is only one rubber ring around the cental shaft.
in the fixnut is a little ring to close the adjustscrew ,that works like an venturi IN means stiffer.
When they are dry no need to overhaul imo

C.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

I was always wondering why Ferrari the secondary arm at the houdaillesarms on the disk brake PF´s change in form and attachment place in the front suspension
the drum brake cars were attached directly on the spring holder( 250gt Europa ,Ellena ,Boano)
the disk brake cars get an attachment far more outside the lower suspension arm.
centrifugal Force or lower weight?
this is all a bit theoretical but can be helpful for S2 and interim PF cars 59-60 owners.
see pics for this diff to understand lines above
ciao
C.
Attachments
see the diff length of sec arms
see the diff length of sec arms
IMG_1528.jpg (119.94 KiB) Viewed 6551 times
drumbrake style
drumbrake style
cs5.jpg (107.92 KiB) Viewed 6551 times
diskbrakes style
diskbrakes style