Rusting Ansa Exhaust Tips on Vintage V12s

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

WillS

Rusting Ansa Exhaust Tips on Vintage V12s

Post by WillS »

Hi All,
I am getting a new set of Ansa exhaust pipes/resonators from the mufflers back for my 330GTC. The old ones were fine except on the bottoms of the resonator tips, where they were all rusted out. There is a point about one foot going forward from the resonator tip ends, where the pipe diameter increases to accomodate the resonators. A little "bowl" is formed at that point by the increase in pipe diameter. It holds water perfectly there and causes the resonators to rust out. Hope I explained that well. I have a picture of the rusted out resonators with arrows pointing to where I want to drill holes, that I would post if I knew how.

Has anyone drilled little hole(s) at that point on the bottoms of the resonators in the "bowl" to allow the water to drain out, and thus prevent the resonators from rusting out? If so, did it affect the sound of the exhaust much at all? Did it work to keep the resonators from rusting out? Any other type of Ansa resonator tip anti-rust modification that works?

Thanks,
Will
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Will,

It's worth a try, but realize that the hole you drill may give the rust a good place to start.

Tom
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

They are called weep holes and make quite an impack preventing inside out rust, you will also need to drill holes in the resonators and the mufflers to enable the system to expel all the accumulated acids and water that otherwise condensesin side and causes the inside out rot, you will not notice any increase in exhause noise under the car and Tom, I have not found the weep holes to be an initiator of outside in rust, but post drilling, you could add a high temp rust proof sealer to ease any concers, I did not, Michael
Yale

Post by Yale »

Francois always used to have a bucket outside his garage door that had Ansa resonators rusting away. According to him, he has tried weep holes but they still rusted. Of course we live in the Northeast, could be different situation in other parts. Best, Yale
horner

Post by horner »

I would worry about exhaust fumes seeping into the car, but maybe the holes you create are too small for this to be a concern. Call Paul Barry at ANSA & ask if they have a remedy. Reach him at 478-788-6653, ext 109.
Jack Horner
WillS

Post by WillS »

Thank you all for your input on Ansa pipe rusting.

Well, I've found out the bottom line on keeping Ansa tips from rusting out--you can't. I 'phoned Paul Barry--thanks Jack--but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. So I decided to take my old rusted ones apart.

The design and construction of those resonator tips will cause them to rust out, no way around it. Where the tips become bigger in diameter is the beginning point for the center baffle pipe (with many little holes drilled in it) that goes out to the end of the pipe. Wrapped 360 degrees around this center baffle pipe, for its full length, is about an inch thick of fibreglass insulation. This insulation soaks up the water coming out of the engine and then the wet fibreglass just sits there squeezed right up against the outer steel resonator pipe and rusts it through. You could drill all the weep holes you want and the fibreglass would still hold the moisture against the outer pipe and rust it out. About the only thing I can think of that might fix the wet tip problem is running the car at 5,000--5,500 RPM in top gear for a couple hours on some nice curvy deserted roads, that'd dry the tips out.....

Come to think of it, running hard like that might solve some other life problems too.....

Regards,
Will
WillS

Post by WillS »

Addendum to previous post:

I spoke with Paul Barry at Ansa this morning--very helpful person, Tel. 1.478.788.6653, ext 109 (great contact, Jack H.). He has in stock just the resonator tips for a very good price, $28.75 each, four needed on a GTC. The red tape and the Ansa-Marmite decals for the tips are also available through Paul. The tips are 70mm OD, whereas the origional tips are 60mm OD (F-cars up to the 365 series had 60mm tips, 365 on had 70mm tips, according to Paul). They are slash-cut on the ends like the origionals. The tip inlet diameter (OD) for a GTC is 1.75" and Paul has a ton of these in stock. He also has the same tip with a 2" and 2.25" inlet diameter, but these are much more limited in number available.

The complete rear pipe ass'ys (from the center mufflers back) are also available from Paul at US$628.00 per side, 2 needed. Another source for these rear pipes is Geoffrey Ohland at Partsource, Tel. 1.207.236.9791, http://www.partsourcenet.com/ .

We also talked about drilling weep holes and Paul thought it might help, even though the fibreglass packing does hold the water. Some of the water might seep through the fibreglass and drain out the weep hole(s), perhaps alleviating the problem somewhat. He said as long as you drill the hole(s) in the resonator tip portion of the exhaust, you shouldn't get any exhaust leaking type sounds, as that is far enough back on the exhaust not to matter.

The critical thing about these tips is to make sure and hire someone (or do them youself) who is careful about getting the alignment correct, so that they look good coming out the back of the car.

I ordered a set of these tips and can email a photograph of them to anyone who might be interested.

Exhaustingly Yours,
Will
horner

Post by horner »

Will, Paul Barry at ANSA was terrific in assisting me. This past summer s/n 8325, 330 GT 2+2 Series II needed, and he supplied, the entire exhaust system, both sides, front pipes through chromed tips. Between diaper changes maybe Tom can post Paul's info in his Supplier section. Jack Horner
67GTC

New 330 GTC Tailpipes on eBay

Post by 67GTC »

For anyone looking to replace the tailpipes on a 330 GTC, the following eBay auction is at $700 for both sides... two more days to go...

Chuck

Item number: 2456552952

Description

You are bidding on a pair of tailpipes for the Ferrari 330 GTC. These are brand new and ready to install. We also stock all other items you may need to install these; from hangers to gaskets, we've got what you need. Please e-mail me with any questions you may have and remember to check our other auctions. Thanks for looking and good luck bidding!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T. Rutland's and Maranello Auto Parts
Your number one source of parts and accessories for Ferrari automobiles
We are open Monday-Friday 9:00am to 7:00pm
Toll free 1-800-638-1444
Fax 1-770-934-6857
E-mail caaron@trutlands.com