Steering box and alignment

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jumprun

Steering box and alignment

Post by Jumprun »

I recently changed all my tie rods (very worn) and now need to re-align and adjust the steering on the 330 GTC. I also observed that the alignment marks on the steering box are off quite a bit. I did a search on this topic but wanted to confirm the basic procedure as I understand it.

First align the marks on the steering box and input shaft. Now align the upper column and steering wheel to straight ahead and center. Now align the output shaft and control arm to center. Finally work on adjusting the wheels straight ahead and toe adjustment, of course keeping all the previous alignments in place.

The work shop manual confused me a bit about the steering wheel/box adjustment and alignment marks, it might be the English/Italian translation so I just wanted to confirm my understanding.

Thanks all, Tom in SoCal.
DWR46

Re: Steering box and alignment

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: You have it pretty much correct.

1. Make sure the steering box is at the halfway point in its travel when the marks are aligned. I have seen cars with the marks aligned, but the box turned further in one direction than the other direction.

2. Get the steering wheel on the column straight by moving it on the shaft and it's coupling.

3.Get the steering arm from the box in the center of it's travel side-to-side.

4. Set the Left Front Wheel to the straight ahead position by adjusting the short left tie rod.

5. Set the short right tie rod to the SAME length as the short left tie rod.

6. Set the right front wheel to the straight ahead position by adjusting the long center tie rod.

7. Set the "toe in" by moving both short tie rods equally. I would use about 1/16 " TOTAL Toe In. You can also set the car to "straight ahead" as this will help the car turn into corners. In racing was always say "toe out equals turn in", and this is why most modern performance cars use front Toe OUT settings (the tires wear faster, the but the car is more responsive).
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Dyke, thanks for your response, I thought I was on the right track so I appreciate your confirmation and details. I'll also go over your article from FML again.

Best Regards, Tom in SoCal.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Dyke, thanks. hat technique do you use in steps 4 and 6 to make sure the wheels are dead straight?

john
PF Coupe
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

John Vardanian wrote:Dyke, thanks. hat technique do you use in steps 4 and 6 to make sure the wheels are dead straight?

john
I completed my alignment this afternoon in my garage, I did it by trial and error, test driving the car until it tracked straight and the toe-in was within spec. It took me about 6 test drives after I got the toe correct, then I adjusted the short rods the same amount turning the wheels either right or left to get the car to track straight, 1/4 turn of the rods made noticeable changes. I carefully measured the toe-in with a right angle square, a tape measure, some other aids and masking tape on my garage floor. I checked the toe after every test drive because I found that there was enough play in the entire geometry that a direct measurement on the floor after moving the rods did not stay the same after a drive.

This was all quite tedious and I suppose I could eventually take it to a shop with the proper equipment to confirm my work but now my steering wheel is aligned, the steering box marks are aligned, my toe is within spec and the car tracks straight.

I've done similar alignments on 356 Porsches out of necessity because the wheels are set so deep in the fenders that the mirrors that shops want to put on the rear wheels won't work.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: I prefer to use alignment equipment from Hunter Engineering. Their latest machines are just amazing. Find a good shop that has late model Hunter machines.