Steering wheel finish

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Bernard Fahimian

Steering wheel finish

Post by Bernard Fahimian »

Hi all,i am trying to redo the wood on my steering wheel. The wood is perfect, but the finish has worn off after 34 years. What is the correct color and finish for Ferrari wood steering wheels of the 60`s? Bernard
Sleeper

Post by Sleeper »

I have never had it done but I have been told that a guitar rebuilder or restorer can do the job very cheaply. You might give it a look.
Joel Benatar

Post by Joel Benatar »

Bernard
When my 330 GTC was having the engine rebuilt at Alan Taylor one of the things I had done was my steering wheel. The person who did the rebuild did an incredible job. He does all their rebuilds for the Bugattis and Delahayes. To my knowledge the cost was $500.00. If you want more info I will be glad to get it for you
Joel
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Bernard,

I took great satisfaction in refinishing my steering wheel myself. If you do a search on this site on steering wheel, you should see what I did. Simple wood finishing supplies like sandpaper, varnish, and tack cloths is all you'll really need. I used a high gloss Marine Spar Varnish that had UV inhibitors. The only problem I had was where the varnish built up by the aluminum spokes, it began to get too yellow in color. Varnish is what they used back in the 60s, so it certainly looks original, but I'm sure a clear polyurethane would work well here, and perhaps not yellow as much, if that is your taste.

I forget which Ferrari you own, but the GTEs, and 330 2+2s, seemed to have a high gloss finish on the Nardi wheels while the later cars like the 365s had a semigloss or matt finish. Anyone concur?

Tom
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

My car had been kept inside for most of its idle life so the wheel is excellent - I love the yellowed old varnish look.
Anyone know the wood species used on the mid 60's Nardi wheels?
I'm guessing oak from the look and hardness.
tyang

Post by tyang »

If I had to make a guess, I would say the steering wheel is made out of mahogany. Oak tends to to have regularily spaced grain patterns that the Nardi wheel does not. Mohogany seems to have a real uniform grain to it. Any wood workers out there know?

My steering wheel looks fine, and the Varnish really brought out the deep color of the wood, but I guess that's the compromise on the aluminum areas.

One tip on the finsihing, when you apply the last coat of varnish, let it completly dry, and buff it on your buffing wheel with a real fine wheel. I use the one meant for buffing plastic. Be careful not to heat the varnish up to melt, and the wheel will obtain an unbelievable shine. The all you have to do it remember not to wear rings when driving your car!

Tom
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

I think the the wood of many Nardi steering wheels used on Ferraris of late 50s and 60's is actually walnut (but I am not absolutely certain). The black inlay is plastic. The wood color is natural, not stained - just a varnish clear coat over.

Chris
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

Re: guitar builder
After refinishing MANY guitars in nitro cellulous lacquer, I tried the same technique on my 330 steering wheel. Nitro is not available in California anymore (maybe no where because of EPA regs). However, you can find clear lacquer in spray cans. Sand the wood (wet) with 400 then 600. Mask off the spokes and spray several thin coats of lacquer. Let it dry several days and sand wet with 600. Spray several more coats of lacquer, let dry several days, then finish sand with 800/1000 grit (wet). Rub it out with light rubbing compound. It will look great, and will hold up well.

Keith
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Seems like a good time to jump in with my opinion about Ferrari wheels.

I do not like the way varnish looks on the aluminum core of the wheel and it seems to inevitably peel off. I removed the old varnish off my wheel with Jasco and sanded the wood progressively to 1000 grit. Then brushed olive oil on the wood twice, 24 hours apart. About 48 hours later wiped it with clean cloth to get the excess oil off, till it left no oil on the hand. The finished product looks very rich with the right darkness to the grain and a silky feel to the hands.

John Vardanian
Bernard Fahimian

Thanks everybody for your input. My steering wheel seems to be made of mahogany so the old finish looks darker and richer in color than some of the wheels i have seen on 250`s. My car has a production date of March 69. I have been told by some that Ferrari changed to Momo in the late 60`s. true? In any case i am now experimenting with Minwax polyurethane and Deft clear gloss wood finish. Should i stain the wood in mahogany first?No i did not find the old nitro lacquer in California. And in case i fail; Joel who did the wheel for you? Bernard
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Bernard,

IMHO, I feel the poly, or clear finish will darken the wood without stain. To be sure, try a small spot by the finger grip.

Tom
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

I still think my wheel is oak with the original finish since its a medium golden color, hard, and grainy in appearance. Mahogany is a dark wood and stains even darker, even with a "natural" finish.

I'm going to ask the finish carpenters working on our new house their opinion of the wood species.

In the house, everything in natural wood is being finished with traditional wood varnish, that will discolor some with time and give the wood the mellow old look. I wouldn't use polyurethane except in high wear areas.

Anyway, whatever wood it is rimmed with, there is no steering wheel in the world like the '50s and '60s Nardi 3 spoke Ferrari wheel. It is a true work of modern art.
fest

of course I have an opinion

Post by fest »

in the Vintage Mahogany Speedboat realm
(yes, I have refinished one)
one product is clearly regarded as the finest:
Z-Spar Flagship Varnish
http://www.kop-coat.com/corporate/woolsey.htm

that is what I would choose for my wheel
if I were to refinish one
and is what I would strongly recommend

granted, the car's interior
is not as harsh as the marine one
but one would still require a durable finish
with good UV stability
wear resistance
and moisture resistance

there you have it
'in spades'
400iman

Post by 400iman »

Joel Benatar wrote:Bernard
When my 330 GTC was having the engine rebuilt at Alan Taylor one of the things I had done was my steering wheel. The person who did the rebuild did an incredible job. He does all their rebuilds for the Bugattis and Delahayes. To my knowledge the cost was $500.00. If you want more info I will be glad to get it for you
Joel
Joel,

please post the contact info for the person who did your steering wheel. I need to have the one in my Miura redone, and it is not just a matter of refinishing because some of the wood is delaminating, probably from sun damage.

Thanks,

Udo
Bernard Fahimian

I ordered some Z-Spar varnish today. Will post the results in a few weeks when i am done. Bernard