Sealing the Tach Drive

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

cory

Sealing the Tach Drive

Post by cory »

Referring to the picture, can anybody tell me where I could find OR121, the o ring on the tach drive unit. All the other seals and o rings pictured are what has been sent to me by various suppliers and are incorrect. I have tried all the usual suspects with no luck....any leads appreciated.
Thank you
Cory
IMG_0743.jpg
IMG_0743.jpg (25.79 KiB) Viewed 7720 times
Jimmyr

Re: Sealing the Tach Drive

Post by Jimmyr »

Take the O ring off of the ends and go to Ace Hardware and sort through their selection and see what you can find. If not, most bearing supply houses carry the largest selection. Jim
cory

Post by cory »

Thank you but those efforts have already been exhausted.
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Hi Cory, you might try a local tractor place like a John Deere dealer. Lots of hydraulic stuff on those. Good luck , Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
Don Micheletti

Post by Don Micheletti »

Mc Master Carr is a good supplier of metric "O" rings. You will probably be able to find one there. I'd go with Viton material
cory

Post by cory »

Thanks to all. I have a Parker store local to me that makes and repairs hydraulics. Nothing close. I may just have to use the old o ring and some silicone.
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Cory, These O rings are not extremely critical, low pressure etc., so finding something close that will slide into the distributor housing with out binding should work. Also, using silicone may not last too long as most are not oil resistant and do breakdown. Loctite 518 would be a better choice if you must use a sealant. Keep looking around at places the others have indicated, most all O rings are metric and somewhat standard in the industry. Good luck.
cory

Post by cory »

Agreed, very low pressure to seal. Loctite 518 is usually used in applications where there is no gasket present and all air can be removed from the seal i.e.: fuel rail. But I do understand its resistant to chemicals. Interestingly enough it has been discovered that there is a typo from Ferrari and in all parts books relating to this o ring. OR121 should be OR112. However, OR112 is shown for a different application in later cars. When updated with the new numbering system there is apparently a typo with regards to that also. I am sorting it out with 2 parts providers and will give the answer when its confirmed. Thanks for all the help with this dumb detail. Too long of a winter I guess!
Cory