512BB Fan Motor

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DrewA

512BB Fan Motor

Post by DrewA »

One of the fan motors on my 512BB is making a horrible noise. I suspect its the bearing. I called around to a couple of local shops and have not had any luck getting someone to rebuild it; says the bearing are imposible to fine.

Does anyone know a source to rebuild these. Would like to stay with the one I have as it matches the other two.

Appreciate any wisdom. Drew
BobA

Re: 512BB Fan Motor

Post by BobA »

Drew: I am not familiar with this fan, but is it a "sealed" type or does it have a bolt together type of construction? Bob A
linen grey ghost

Post by linen grey ghost »

Is it this > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Engine- ... 0549825315

No relation/interest to eBay seller, just for illustrative purposes.

If so, seems like the electric motor could be disassembled and a suitable bearing replacement bearing could be sourced.
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

I have not pulled the fan motor yet. I had one of these a part a couple of years ago and sent it out to be rebuilt. You have to remove the front clip to get at the fan - not that bad in a Boxer though. It may be the that the brushes have disintegrated as well. All the motors are a little different. Pretty sure this one is Lucas. Will post some pictures when I get it out and apart and go from there. Thanks. Drew
linen grey ghost

Post by linen grey ghost »

If indeed Lucas is the OEM mfgr for your electric fan motors, then perhaps this web post may be of assistance >

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/pre-9 ... iator.html

Seems that others with various Ferrari models have had fan motor problems and found a solution with Jaguar parts suppliers for Lucas items.
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Wow - that's a great find - thanks. Drew