Series 1 Carb spacer information

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

cory

Series 1 Carb spacer information

Post by cory »

Hi All
I just received my DCZ's back from rebuilding at Pierce manifolds. Along with the rebuild Mike sends new gaskets and carb base spacers. While attempting to put on the rear carb, thankfully I started with that one, I noticed the carburator wasn't sitting flush. The part of the carburator that houses the sector gears was hitting the boss on its mating intake for the booster vacuum line. After removal it was discovered that the new spacer was 6.5mm thick and my old, I feel original spacer, was 8.2mm thick. Not wanting to use the old spacer, especially after having the carburetor bases pressed back into place, I tried its fit. They fit better but still not good enough for the carburator to sit flush. A call went to Mike. He reported that the only other spacers were 10mm spacers. However, the intake openings were only 37mm. The carburator openings at the bases are 40mm. Using the 37mm openings could result in the throttle plates not working correctly. We got off the phone and within 5 minutes Mike called back. The issue was solved as follows. The original spacer thickness for the Series 1 330 Webers was 10mm. However, for this series the spacers used were a "#132's" which correlates to the following; "the intake openings on the carb side of the spacer are 40mm tapered down to 37mm on the intake side." Mike reports that this setup was only used a short time, series 1 only, then scrapped. He has rebuilt 100's of DCZ's but only needed this spacer to be used 3 times. Can definitely say one can never be absolute with Ferrari...............
tim

Re: Series 1 Carb spacer information

Post by tim »

Greetings… On little brother, part of the housing for the sector gears on the rear carb is ground away for clearance. The spacer is not tapered. Seems a little crude but it's been that way for the 40 years I've had it.

Tim (new Turner 950S owner)
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
cory

Post by cory »

Hi Tim
I recorded the carbs #'s and order in which they were mounted when Tom and Francois rebuilt my motor. When I remounted them I noticed that part of carb body was ground, or worn, on the rear most carb. I also noticed that the rear most intake had some wear marks on it. I assumed it from both the tight clearance and the fact that over time the original spacer had lost some of its thickness due to re tightening, wear, or the fact that they had been faced at some time in their life.
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

I had the exact same problem but with DFI carbs on a GTC, I ended up grinding a small amount off the port to get the gears to clear. The spacers Mike supplies are much more rigid than originals, hopefully less likely to adversely compress. In hind sight another solution would have been to add an appropriate aluminum spacer to all three carbs to get the clearance for that rear carb.