Exhaust System Paint

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

Exhaust System Paint

Post by enio45 »

I posted this over F-chat and got no response.....wondering am i the only one worried about this stuff??

I just purchased a new vintage exhaust system - made by David Carte.

It arrived all in bare steel - tubes, mufflers, clamps, bolts etc.

Some welding of the tabs on the exhaust system is required.

Im told they are to be finished in flat black for any type of concourse judging etc.

The system is for a 56 - 58 Ellena/ Boano.

What is the recommended way to prep and to what is the correct paint or finish to use on the system to last and show well.

I appreciate the advise -
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
John Vardanian

Re: Exhaust System Paint

Post by John Vardanian »

Ed, the ones I have seen are finished in satin black. I had bad results with the high temp paints on the headres (including Hirsch's), so went with ceramic and it has been fine. A friend has used high temp powder coating with good results also. The high temp paint like Hirsch's should work down the line where the system runs cooler.

john
PF Coupe
enio45

Post by enio45 »

John, what color did you do the headers?

Can they be hi temp powder coat as well?

I thought about doing jet hot, but that requires sending the whole system out to mid west - jet hot moved out of PHX a few yrs back
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Ed, ceramic coating comes in at least a dozen colors and two shades of black. They blast inside and outside of the tubing and then coat them inside and out. This treatment supposedly makes the headers retain less heat and give you a cooler engine bay. The only thing is you need to handle them carefully during installation and not slap them with the wrench; it is not as hearty as powder coating. The PF coupe's I did in silver color and have 1000 miles on them. They look as good now as they did on day one.

Another option is powder coating. My friend did his headers in black powder coat (a place in Hayward) and his also looks nice after a few hundred miles.

john
PF Coupe
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... I had mine done by Jet Hot in satin black maybe 35 years ago. They still look great and will require just a soapy water bath before re-installing them. My original reason for Jet Hotting them was protection as they coat them inside and out. Cosmetics were second and there is no rust or corrosion any where.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Thanks for the input - jet hot would be my preferred, but it looks like they moved out of Phoenix 4-5 yrs ago and there is no replacement service unless you want to mail the parts to the midwest.

Im hearing of a guy that does ceramic here in phoenix - ill check him out and report back.
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS