Flywheel bolts and locking up the motor

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

Flywheel bolts and locking up the motor

Post by enio45 »

Short story, big disaster but here it goes....

Working on a 56 Boano car for a client - needed new clutch and flywheel surfaced etc.

When i reinstalled the flywheel, i got new bolts and bolt clamps (straps with the tabs) and installed the flywheel.

I did notice the bolts were slightly longer than the orig's, but check the length and determined that the amount sticking thru was .040 - .050 was ok, as i have plenty of room at the back of the block. i checked the crank distance at the top side the crank to the clock to determine this. Installed everything 4 months ago - awaiting for other parts, detailing the engine compartment, refurb rad etc.

Go to start the car on friday and the car is locked up solid.....WTF!! Starter kicks in but motor would not turn. pulled the plugs - same thing, pulled the starter , try to turn the flywheel - same thing, pushed the car and let out the clutch - locked up solid. I took all the interior back out of the car - pulled the trans , clutch and flywheel and sure enough, the lower bolts on the flywheel were tightened into the rear of the lower block housing (which is removable in its self). The clearance
on the lower side of the crank to the lower block housing is very close - maybe .015-.020 i believe. i did not see that - i checked the top side of the block and had a good 1/2 inch.

What a freakin mess....in addition - the heads of the new bolts were slightly taller so we had to machine them down because the threads on the bolts had a shoulder that would run out of thread material so we added a lock washer in place to pull them back.

6-7 hrs R&R for the 2nd time was a wasted day, tough lesson to learn.

:x
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
Jimmyr

Re: Flywheel bolts and locking up the motor

Post by Jimmyr »

Ed, also be sure the bolt heads do not extend higher than the flush surface of the flywheel. That is why they use that flat locking strap in place of lock washers. The bolts are special grade 10 as well as the special length - as you have found out. Jim
enio45

Post by enio45 »

jimmy, yes agree - we had to shave the heads down .030 to minimize any future interference.....heads on the bolts are quite thick to begin with.
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

As long as there is no damage or no fingers missing, no big deal. Glad you figured it out and were not too proud to share.

john
PF Coupe
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Thanks John, no missing or damaged fingers

Yes, i felt it was necessary to share this so anyone else doing a flywheel and clutch will at least be aware!!
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Can anyone post a close up picture of the bolts that hold the clutch to the flywheel? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe