6 into 1 Headers

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

BobA

6 into 1 Headers

Post by BobA »

Many years ago when I bought my GTE in a non-running condition, the headers appeared to be in excellent condition, but the flanges do not align with the studs in the heads without a lot of "persuasion" and then they tend to leak because the individual flanges are not all in the same plane. Does anyone have a method of making them fit short of remachining the flanges? I am thinking along the line of stretching/shrinking the metal by heating and quenching selectively. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Bob A
John Vardanian

Re: 6 into 1 Headers

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Bob, a couple years ago I took my 6x1 headers for ceramic coating. After blasting them, the fellow took it upon himself to weld a couple of hairline crack on one of the headers at the collector. I was grateful for it but when I went to fit the headers the one he repaired would not fit to the head. I took it to our master welder here in Berkeley and he fixed it by heating and bending. Apparently cracks on these types of headers are common, but they must be fastened to a head or a jig before welding. In your case, if the headers fit at all I would put things back together and leave the correction to a time when the head comes off. Otherwise you can send them to me and I'll have our guy fix them.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Re: 6 into 1 Headers

Post by John Vardanian »

Here's mine after blasting. My tubes have independent flanges. I have seen some with paired flanges.

john

PF Coupe