flushing the AC system on a GTC

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

flushing the AC system on a GTC

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I was thinking that flushing the system when I replace the drier and compressor/clutch might be a good idea. The expansion valve and the evaporator are under the dash and obviously not easy to access. Can I flush them using the existing hoses that live in the engine bay?
Apparently this can easily be done on a TR, but not sure about an older car. thanx steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
tyang

Re: flushing the AC system on a GTC

Post by tyang »

I think you need to ask an A/C guy. The system is no different than what was found on any other car of that era, but the fittings, gauges, and vacuum pumps are with a guy who works with A/C systems. I hate messing with A/C!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Re: flushing the AC system on a GTC

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Thanx for the info....being the intrepid idiot that I am, i read a bunch and queried a really smart and experienced neighborhood mechanic, bought 2 cans of flush (recommended by Four Seasons), a flush gun and did it yesterday. I flushed the condenser quickly and easily...no debris in the effluent. You're supposed to flush the system backwards, but my guys said sometimes you just can't and following the normal flow of freon is OK as well. And, that's precisely what worked flushing the evaporator. You can't separate out the expansion valve from the evaporator without getting into the dash, and, at this point, I didn't think that's necessary, so I did those two things together. Anyhow, it's done and none of the flushed pieces showed any debris, and particularly, (pun intended) no particulate matter or shards of metal. thanx. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."