Adhesives, Sealants and Cam covers

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Adhesives, Sealants and Cam covers

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I'm finally ready to begin the reassembly of my GTC engine (just a reseal, no engine work, heads not removed). I spoke at length with the tech guy at Permatex who said that the timing chain cover, pans and t-stat housing could all be done with only Ultra Gray, no gaskets. This sounded completely unAmerican (and unItalian, I suppose) to me. Heresy, even. But, I've heard this before. Is this line of thinking due to the idea that today's more modern sealants are much better than they were back in the day when the cars were built?

Also, he suggested "high tack" on the cam covers, not RTV. Any thoughts?

Forgive my X-posting with FC (my usual practice). thanx. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Vardanian

Re: Adhesives, Sealants and Cam covers

Post by John Vardanian »

Steve, re the cam covers, it would be interesting to see what everyone uses. I have taken cam covers on and off so many times and have had the best results with the cheapest NAPA brand RTV (black stuff). Once I tried Loctite 518 and had a few leaks.

On the subject of no gasket at all, in some places like the timing case, spacing is important and your paper gasket determines spacing.

john
PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Re: Adhesives, Sealants and Cam covers

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx John. Within minutes of my posting, Brian Crall, AKA "rifledriver" over on FC, gave the same advice and for the same reason. I was all set to move on, but last night I started my retreat and removed all of the studs that pin the chain cover to the block and loosened it with a putty knife. RTV that's only 24 hrs old is still tough, but not too, too bad. thanx again. Will you be at Tom's party in August? s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."