Post by afwrench »

What humor? Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
Steve Meltzer

Re: Finding TDC

Post by Steve Meltzer »

hmmm. that's what my ex used to say! s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

As I mentioned earlier, I can't put the flywheel on the engine to check TDC, but I used a boroscope to watch the piston rise in the bore and I noted that TDC by checking the #1 piston's travel, is 17°before what I believed it to be when i started. I can't use a piston stop to check this because there's no way to turn the crankshaft CCW....the crank bolt will come out. I''ve already broken an M8 bolt trying to turn it from the rear of the engine (flywheel bolt holes near the rear main seal). The boroscope has got to be really, really close, as I could easily see the piston moving. Any thoughts here. thanx steve

ADD: I'm trying to set the valves in accurate 60° increments. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Steve: PUT THE FLYWHEEL ON THE MOTOR!!!! You will never get it right unless you do this. Otherwise all you are doing is beating a dead horse.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx so much. i came to the computer to try to remove that last post as I realized it was dumb and inaccurate...if the #1 piston was a TDC, it would have most likely crushed the end of the boroscope, which would have been the end of the boroscope! (and, most likely, #1 cylinder!). Still, fun learning in a protected environment. thanx, Dyke. s
steve meltzer,