250GT SWB Cal Spyder Recreation (eBay)

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Kris

250GT SWB Cal Spyder Recreation (eBay)

Post by Kris »

Wowsa, look at the price. No wonder there's been no bids!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2457774300

From watching the various rebuilds on this site and seeing the prices of Ferrari parts, I can imagine the engine and trans are worth a pretty penny.

I've loved the 250GT California Spyder since I saw "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". After I started getting into Ferrari's when I was around 14, I realized how rare a car they actually portrayed in this movie. More importantly, what Dad would honestly leave the keys in such a car, right? :)

I actually was published in Kit Car magazine when I was 17 asking about this car (powertrain question). The kit is made by Precision Design & Engineering, and last I checked, turnkey examples were around $40k. I'd still like to built one someday; you gotta have a nice droptop for those Michigan summer days along the Lake Michigan shore, but I don't think anything will satisfy my needs more than a true Ferrari with a V12 singing and handling the way Enzo intended them to!

www.calspyder.com

Anyone think this will see any bids? I know I saw similar kits with Ford powertrain going in the high 40's, low 50's price range.

Sorry for the lengthy post.
Kris
Yale

Post by Yale »

I think that is actually more of an ad then an auction. Best, Yale
fuiszt

Post by fuiszt »

Just goes to show that you can drive your Ferrari Cali spider without fear, since you could rebuild it from scratch for 115K. Of course then you'd still have a real serial number. This replica must have a limited potential sale potential. The other similar cars are the Bugatti 35 replicas made in Argentina. Not cheap either.
The 35K ford powered one is more appealing to me-as long as its fake, I'd like one I could drive like they drive it in the ferris movie
fest

fake

Post by fest »

looks like an opinion thread
and lord knows I got em-
lots of them, in fact

I think that 'replicas' and 'clones'
are the bane of the collector car hobby
I cannot condone their creation or promotion
and I think they should all be destroyed, actually

a dude at work is always harping about AC Cobra replicas
and I eventually have to tell him
"I would rather have a REAL Ferrari
than a FAKE Ford"

as I currently HAVE a Ferrari
and he has NOTHING
(but an old Rustang)
the debate remains purely academic at this point

The only replica that I MIGHT approve of
is a 308, 328 etc with 288 GTO 'Glass
(they may be fake, but at least they are all Ferrari)
especially if the car is constructed for Track use
(there is such a car advertised in the FCA right now-
very tempting, indeed)
but being a purist,
I don't know if I could go through with it...
Koll

Post by Koll »

Hey, opinions!

I pretty much agree with you on replicare, although mandatory crushing them is a tad harsh! :lol:

Honestly, if I can't afford given car, I settle for the real McCoy of whatever I can. Replicas usually don't wear well.

Heck, if you're going to get a Ford, get the new GT (GT40). IMHO, it's the hottest thing going this side of an Enzo or McLaren F1. If I had an extra 150G, the decision of V12 Ferrari or that would be wrenching for me. It's that good.