Instrument Panel Lights

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Instrument Panel Lights

Post by John Vardanian »

Can someone please confirm if the instrument lights are independent of the headlight switch? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Re: Instrument Panel Lights

Post by DWR46 »

John: On cars of the PF Coupe vintage, there is generally a separate knob that is a rheostat that controls the instrument lights.
peterp

Post by peterp »

Hi John, I don't know if it's the same on a PF, or even if it has the same controls, but on my 330 GT, the light rocker in the dash turns on the instrument lights, independent of the stalk on the steering column that actually turns on the lights (first detent) and high beams (second detent).

The headlight stalk on the steering column does nothing if the light rocker switch in the dash is off.

Also, the reverse light only comes when the lights are on (back then, the reverse light was there for illumination only, not safety to warn that you were backing up during the day). I think the underhood light and boot light might also only come on when the lights are on, but I'm not positive of that.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
enio45

Post by enio45 »

John, I'm tracing out my wiring now for the Ellena and what i see is that the
dash lights are controlled by a rheostat switch on the dash board.

i have several extras of the these switched in case you need one.

According to the wiring this is independent of the parking and headlamp switch.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
peterp

Post by peterp »

Maybe a less confusing way to say the above is that the dash rocker serves as a "master switch" that turns on the instrument lights and "enables" the headlight stalk.
Peter P
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

peterp wrote:Maybe a less confusing way to say the above is that the dash rocker serves as a "master switch" that turns on the instrument lights and "enables" the headlight stalk.
Thanks everyone.

So, Peter, more scientifically, in order for the instrument lights to come on, the headlights have to be on first. Is that correct?

Mine and another Lusso I've checked, the instrument lights are not dependent on the headlight switch. I find this very odd.

john
PF Coupe
peterp

Post by peterp »

John Vardanian wrote:
peterp wrote:Maybe a less confusing way to say the above is that the dash rocker serves as a "master switch" that turns on the instrument lights and "enables" the headlight stalk.
Thanks everyone.

So, Peter, more scientifically, in order for the instrument lights to come on, the headlights have to be on first. Is that correct?

Mine and another Lusso I've checked, the instrument lights are not dependent on the headlight switch. I find this very odd.

john
For the 330, there are two switches related to the operation of the lights. A rocker switch on the left of a cluster of 6 or 8 rocker switches in the center console, and then a stalk on the steering column very close to the blinker switch that has 3 detents (headlight off, low beam, high beam). When you turn the rocker switch on in the center console, it unconditionally turns on the instruments lights (with brightness controlled by the rheostat), independent of whether the headlights (controlled by the stalk) are on.

In short:
Rocker off: Everything is off - instrument lights off, turning the headlight stalk switch from "off" to "low" or "high" beam position does nothing
Rocker on: Instruments lights unconditionally on, headlights are only on if the stalk is set to low or high beam position
Peter P
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Peter. The 330 is a little more sophisticated, it looks like.

I was looking at a 250GTE wiring diagram and it looks like the instrument panel is independent from the headlight.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: PF Coupes and Lussos have INDEPENDENT switches for the interior lights.
tyang

Post by tyang »

The 330 wiring is VERY different from the 250 cars, especially Peter's SII 330.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Good to know. But, it is very odd in deed. They decided you cannot turn on your fog lights unless your headlights are on first, but at the same time they decided you need the instrument lights on all the time, even during daylight. This is Italian logic for you.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote:Good to know. But, it is very odd in deed. They decided you cannot turn on your fog lights unless your headlights are on first, but at the same time they decided you need the instrument lights on all the time, even during daylight. This is Italian logic for you.

john
Also the engine compartment lights do not go on unless the headlights are on, and if I recall correctly, nor does the reverse light!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

There is actually some logic to all this. If it is daylight, you do not need a light under the hood to help you see things. When backup lights first appeared on cars, the reason was to help the driver see what was behind him, and NOT to warn others that the car is backing up. So if it is daylight, the driver does not need a backup light.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

The headlight switch is working "over" the Deviolux.
the deviolux get his juice ad soon the lightswitch stand on stand light or road light (dash lights works now)
as soon the light switch is operasting " pull and turn type" the headlight stalk will work.
you can hear some sound when de deviolux switch on ( in a kind of click) .
However but there are some 250gt cars with a foot operating switch on the leftside made by Lucas( main beam) on off type.
the Fog light have a seperate bevertail swich not depending on the light swith has always AC/DC like the cigarette Brico.

John,hope this helps

C.
Ananda

Post by Ananda »

On my Boano, there was a foot activated dip switch, but it is NOT Lucas. The diameter of the Lucas unit is larger than the hole in the floor of my car. Could be Hella or something else