Trunk latch

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Rob330

Trunk latch

Post by Rob330 »

Hello everyone,

I am having some troubles with my trunk latch , I can't seem to get the trunk to come down far enough.

Is it the wrong latch ? It came with the car but I can't remember if it was on it or came loose. The striker is
correct , we took it off when we dismantled the car .

I looked at some google images and it is really hard to tell if it is correct , maybe the correct one is
slightly different.

Could it be possible that there is 2 different designs.

Thanks, Rob.
Attachments
trunk latch.jpg
trunk latch.jpg (217.82 KiB) Viewed 12291 times
Rob330

Re: Trunk latch

Post by Rob330 »

Sorry its a 1964 330GT, 5393.
330GT

Post by 330GT »

The latch looks to be the correct one.

New rubber seal? If so, it takes a while to compress. You can adjust both the latch (pictured) and the bar, where the latch hooks, that can be raised up.

On my 330, with new rubber, I have to press firmly under the latch button to get it to latch. And this is after two years.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Rob,

Will the trunk latch without the rubber? The square closed cell foam seal they sell for the trunk lid is too thick, as Kerry described. We actually cut this seal down almost in half to make it fit right. We made a jig that holds the seal in place so we can cut it down with a coping saw!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Rob, is the mating part that is on the trunk lid adjustable? If so you may play with that adjustment.

john
If the gasket is too thick, and the latch is adjusted to close, the lid will sit too proud of the body.

Tom
PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

With a new rubber profile I use to drill some little holes 2-3 mm with a Makita in the tube,
So the air can get out the tubeprofile ,this works normally perfect and hard to see.
spacially on the doorrubbers this is necesarry I think, and easer than stripping or modefying.
the ruber can set by it self this way.
see below

ciao

C.
Attachments
IMG_5281.jpg
IMG_5281.jpg (136.15 KiB) Viewed 12247 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

250GT wrote:With a new rubber profile I use to drill some little holes 2-3 mm with a Makita in the tube,
So the air can get out the tubeprofile ,this works normally perfect and hard to see.
spacially on the doorrubbers this is necesarry I think, and easer than stripping or modefying.
the ruber can set by it self this way.
see below

ciao

C.
Hi Cornelis,

On the 330, the trunk gasket is different.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

The problem I am having is the trunk will not go down all the way , it stays up about an inch.
We are scratching our heads because it latches but stays up a bit . We tried it on another 330gt that is missing the trunk latch
with the same results.
The rubber removed gives us the same results. Can I get a picture of someones latch installed, maybe we are missing something.

Thanks,
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

What about the complimenting piece that is on the trunk lid, is that adjustable? Can you look at the latching action from inside the trunk or use your phone cam to see what is afoul?

john
PF Coupe
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

The latch is on the trunk lid and the striker is on the rear panel. We tried adjusting all
we are allowed .

Something is not right . The striker is the original because I remember that on the car when I got it so
my thought is the latch my be from a similar looking latch but from another model .

Rob
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Rob: Did the trunk ever close correctly when you have had the car in your possession? If not, then you do not know if either the striker or the latch is correct.
peterp

Post by peterp »

From your photo, it looks to me like the pivoting piece on the latch is turned around 180 degrees. I don't have a photo, but I think the larger end of the pivoting arm should come out the rear end of the latch. Instead it seems like the spring end of the pivot is coming out the rear of the latch.

It would be good to have picture of the other side of your latch because that is the only side that can be seen on our cars when the latch is mounted.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

That is possible, it was disassembled when we have it refinished.

I will try to switch it in the morning but that sounds like the best explanation.

Thanks guys I will let you know in the morning . Rob.
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... The latch looks to be correctly assembled. When I can get the file downsized (when I can figure out how to do that) I'll post a pic but it does look right

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
peterp

Post by peterp »

Rob330 wrote:That is possible, it was disassembled when we have it refinished.

I will try to switch it in the morning but that sounds like the best explanation.

Thanks guys I will let you know in the morning . Rob.
Rob, If you can post a picture of the latch flipped over, and angled a bit from the back instead of straight down from the top, that will help a lot. The photo you posted initially shows only the side that can't be seen when it's mounted on the car, so it's really difficult to compare to what we have.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169