GTE Fuel door hinge

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

BobA

GTE Fuel door hinge

Post by BobA »

Does anyone know how to correctly remove the fuel door hinge from a Series 1 GTE? I started to repaint the area around the fuel filler before installing the cleaned and lined fuel tank. I removed the door and then the two Phillips screws holding the hinge to the body, but no amount of twisting and turning put in a position to slip out of the cavity it fits into. I finally managed to remove the two cotter pins in the hinge pin and remove it in separate pieces. After painting I will need to re-install the hinge without taking the new paint off. Not sure how the factory originally installed it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Bob
chris

Re: GTE Fuel door hinge

Post by chris »

Dear Bob,

it should come free after removing the bolts. Mine is a tight fit but I managed to get it out with a little bit of
Gentle twisting. I can only think of paint an body sealer hildingbitbin place as well as the tight fit. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Chris
BobA

Post by BobA »

I need to ask before I prep and paint, what color should the fuel door hinge be? Thanks
BobA

Post by BobA »

Just an update. I finally got the hinge out of it's cavity. I looks like the assembler filled the cavity with modeling clay before stuffing the hinge into place. After finally getting the hinge disassembled and removed, I used a small wood chisel to break apart and remove all of the hardened material. I will rustproof the cavity before reassembling. I think the portion of the hinge attached to the body was painted black and the portion attached to the fuel door is body color. Anyone able to confirm this? Bob
tyang

Post by tyang »

BobA wrote:I need to ask before I prep and paint, what color should the fuel door hinge be? Thanks
I've always seen this body color, but need to see if I have any pictures of original paint cars to confirm.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
BobA

Post by BobA »

I think you are right for the portion of the hinge attached to the fuel door, but only found a trace of black on the portion attached to the body. I think the spring was originally a black oxide. Any comments?
BobA

Post by BobA »

I think you are right for the portion of the hinge attached to the fuel door, but only found a trace of black (no plating) on the portion attached to the body. I think the spring was originally a black oxide. Any comments?