Anybody use Gortex tape for cam covers?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Anybody use Gortex tape for cam covers?

Post by Steve Meltzer »

First, as usual, forgive my X-posting with FC. 'Bout ready to lay down the cam and chain covers on the GTC (gawd, I wish i was getting paid by the hour!) and was visiting with Chris C. (new friend with expertise I met at Tom's party!) who mentioned that some folks swear by the use of Gortex FT sealant tape. (I think someone ?? Jimmy M. had mentioned this years ago.) Anybody have experience with this instead of traditional gaskets + goo?
thanx steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Vardanian

Re: Anybody use Gortex tape for cam covers?

Post by John Vardanian »

I have used cam cover gaskets that were cut from Gortex--not a Ferrari, but still aluminum cam covers with similar machined surfaces and stud spacing. They slipped out here and there. Smearing RTV on them may have had something to do with that.

john
PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx John. The guy from Gortex said NO RTV or anything else. Just lay it down, after peeling the protective covering from one side, nothing but gortex on the other. Seems like that would make these re-usable, but might take bigger batzim (Yiddish for eggs) than I have . thanx again. s

ADD: How's Mookie? Loving, inquiring minds want to know! s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Steve, now I see why I had bad luck with that type of gasket. But so many cam covers have been handled by hacks over the years and for the most part how well they seal depends on surface quality.

Mookie is fine and just got her last summer haircut; and, of course, the basset is getting on her nerves.

john
PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

didn't have the nerve to go with the tape, but for irreg surfaces it looks pretty good. goin' with traditional gaskets, sealant. s
steve meltzer,