Project???

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tim

Project???

Post by tim »

Greetings. Anybody need a project? Tom???
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969- ... 5-gt-22-3/
looks do-able

Tim(with to many projects)
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
donv

Re: Project???

Post by donv »

I'm thinking parts car, sadly. How much is a 365 2-cam motor worth these days?
1969 365GT 2+2
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... 2 hrs to go and at $80k. I hope whoever buys it will share the restoration with us.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... Sold for $130k. Just based on the pictures, I thought $100k or less would be doable. I don't think there is any way to make money on this car but is that what we are here for? Get the car into a good drivable condition and then (horror of horrors) drive it.

Tim
donv

Post by donv »

There's clearly no way to "make money" on it, but I think you could do a nice driver-quality restoration and end up with a great car, done to your specs. And it has a good history to go with it.

I think that, if the buyer knows what they are doing, it could turn out to be a good purchase.

There was some mention of the buyer being Wayne Carini in the comments-- is that right? Acting on behalf of a client, I'm sure. If so, it should end up being very nice.
1969 365GT 2+2
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

I think I just saw Peter Kumar is selling the car through Gullwing Motors for about $167.5K! He's certainly allowed to make a profit from selling a car, but if you think you couldn't stay in the black at $130K, good luck at the price now!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings ... And using the same pictures as the BAT listing

Tim
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Like most of you, I followed that auction very closely and am on record for saying that the car was "well sold" at $55K. The unknowns with that car were, in my (ignorant) estimation, potentially staggering, unless you could do much work yourself. For a car at that bottom of the V12 food tree, the seller should be rejoicing at 100 dB. How do we know that Kumar wasn't the winning bidder from the get go (ie: was this really a quick flip?)?

About two year ago, there was a great tête-à-tête, in Sports Car Market magazine. The car at the center of the controversy was a beat up and abused Porsche Speedster of some ilk. Tatty would have been a gross understatement. However, Jerry Seinfeld bought the car for something like $800K and Stephen Serio gave strong validation to the purchase, while Donald Osborne and Miles Collier ridiculed the purchase opining that it was an abused and neglected fright pig. I would take the Osborne/Collier position on the "Queen" that just sold....if the owner really loved that car (as some have so fantasized and he professed) why would he have been so neglectful of the car? In contrast to many (apparently), I think the car carries a history of a poor, irresponsible and remiss owner. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

donv

Post by donv »

The Seinfeld car was usable in the state he bought it (or maybe he did some minor servicing, but it wasn't much). This car, I would say, is past the point of being made into a usable driver... even for someone like me, who likes a bit of "patina."

I think you could get this car into very presentable shape for $150k, maybe less. So if you buy it from Gullwing, you're looking at $300k for basically a new 365GT, done to your specs (my estimate includes paint, interior, engine rebuild or major service, done to nice driver level). You couldn't resell it and make money, but if you wanted to own it and drive it and tour with it and generally use it as it was intended to be used, that wouldn't necessarily be crazy.

And it has a great history and story, as an added bonus.
1969 365GT 2+2
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Don, I think the Seinfeld car did need brakes but it was driveable....so, it was much, much better mechanically than this "Queen"....jeez, it even had a key to the ignition! I too, was thinking 135-150K for a decent car. Sourcing some of that stuff could be really difficult (read: expensive) and it would take at least 2 years I'd bet. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Yale

Post by Yale »

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com ... n-the-rain

This should be a link if the world works according to plan, not that it often does that.
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
donv

Post by donv »

In regard to the owner's treatment of the car, he was old-school about it. It was a car, and it had a purpose (transportation, admittedly elegant, high speed transportation, but still), and when it didn't work for him he stuck it in his garage. Most of us might have sold it instead, but that was his choice. But in any event, as far as he was concerned, it was just a tool and it had outlived it's usefulness.

Now these cars are viewed as works of art, with intrinsic value on their own above their pure functionality... but that has not always been the case.
1969 365GT 2+2