Daytona intake manifold question

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Daytona intake manifold question

Post by Steve Meltzer »

The lower hose on the Daytona intake splits in to a hose that is some sort of crankcase ventilation system, the other straight to the air cleaner. Why does this not create a vacuum leak? Is it because of the way the intake is plumbed internally, so it isn't readily visible, with the intake mounted? Picture enclosed and my usual apologies for X-posting with FC. thanx. s
Attachments
Daytona intake.jpeg
Daytona intake.jpeg (142.72 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Dogdish

Re: Daytona intake manifold question

Post by Dogdish »

Steve,

Since no one else has answered. I'll attempt, here goes.

You do have a "leak" with those orifices in the intake manifold. They are small and lets in a metered amount of air to include the pulling in of oil fumes. They are included as part of the total amount of air needed for your idle air. If you notice the T fitting (#22), that goes up to the air filter housing. At idle, you pull in fumes with the tiny orifice in the intake manifold, when you open the throttle, you will lose that pressure difference in the intake manifold, but create a pressure difference in the air filter housing....thus pulling oil fumes in through the air filter with butterflies (more) open. So fumes get pulled in, depending on the throttle butterfly position.

Mine did not have those orifices, so I think my butterflies are little too open on idle to get the progression circuit working exactly as the factory intended.

Hope my explanation made sense :-)

Bill
365GTB/4 14097
Steve Meltzer

Re: Daytona intake manifold question

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Bill, thanx for the really cogent explanation. A friend of mine who owns a 328 and who, like you, is an excellent mechanic, suggested a similar explanation. It's a controlled and metered "vacuum leak" that's been calculated into the intake manifolds operating vacuum. thanx for helping out here. much appreciated. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."