Engine mount replacement on 1965 330 GT 2+2 Series 1

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

AEB

Engine mount replacement on 1965 330 GT 2+2 Series 1

Post by AEB »

I need to replace my 4 each engine mounts on my 1965 330 GT 2+2. Is there a safe way to support the engine weight while the mounts are changed? Can a large block of wood be placed under the oil sump to use for a jacking point to lift engine slightly to replace the engine mounts? I am also replacing the trans mounts but I am certain the trans body will support the weight of the trans while I make the replacement. I changed engine mounts on a British car I have and I jacked the engine up by placing a hydraulic jack under the crank shaft pulley as directed by someone who had previously performed this task and it worked great. I am reluctant to employ this method on the Ferrari. Thanks in advance for your help.
Art
1965 330 GT 2+2 Series 1 Interim car sn 7091
John Vardanian

Re: Engine mount replacement on 1965 330 GT 2+2 Series 1

Post by John Vardanian »

The engine mounts are held in with four 6mm bolts that go thru the underside of each foot. I don't see how you can replace them without removing the engine. The gearbox mount should be easy enough to replace with a floor jack.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Re: Engine mount replacement on 1965 330 GT 2+2 Series 1

Post by tyang »

Hi AEB,

In answer to your question, a thick piece of plywood can be used to support the bottom of the engine from the oil pan to spread out the weight, but I think John is kind of right. On some engines, where there is a plate, the front motor mounts may come out, but the rear ones may not be so easy. I don't think you'll get the engine high enough to get the mounts out. There are also a set of cups and washers that have a spacer between the engine and the rear mount. Those will come out easily when you raise the engine.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053