Locking out the advance on Daytona distributor

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Re: Locking out the advance on Daytona distributor

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Right John, it could be an errant spring or weight. The o-rings are relatively new and correct. i used the "blue goo" when I installed them. (Permatex Permaseal, I think....not an RTV). The last time I worked on this, I left it idling at 2200 and threw my hands up. This AM, I went to move the car, and for those 5 minutes, she was perfect. More later, and Happy New Year to all of you. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Dogdish

Post by Dogdish »

Steve,

Another item to check is the brake booster vacuum hose. Pull the large vacuum hose off the back of the rear carb. Plug or cover the hole in some way. You may have a leak from your lines or the brake booster itself. Something else to try and not that hard to do.

Bill
365GTB/4 14097
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Thanx Bill, I actually replaced that hose, and checked the one way valve as well. A "smoke test" never revealed a leak there or anywhere. I appreciate your thoughts. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Dogdish

Post by Dogdish »

John Vardanian wrote:Steve, do all six carbs suck at the same rate before the RPM change as they do after?

john
I think John has a great question here.

IMHO, I think with this much of change in RPM it's air. I would still ask to remove the rear brake booster hose and plug up that fitting on the carb. As the booster pulls beneath the butterfly, not through it.....and would not necessarily show on your STE flow meter. Your hoses can all be perfect, but pulling excess air through the booster itself or your vacuum pump on the exhaust cam.

I had this happen on my old Queen Mother....inconsistent idling.

Bill
365GTB/4 14097
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Quick, anybody gotta towel? I need a big one to wipe the egg off my face! The idea that this was a vacuum leak was essentially mine, but the thought that it was in the distributor was phone advice from the pro who came to help me this AM. When we started the car, it did just as advertised: pretty good idle for about 5-7 minutes, then it took off accelerating, as scheduled. Greg Lucas was the adult in the room, and he quickly recognized that the mixtures in several carbs were lean, as evidenced by intermittent popping in many of the carbs. I'd noted this, but figured I'd deal with it later....one %*&%$#$@# thing at a time, please! He asked me what I'd done to the idle mixture screws since the carbs were returned from Pierce...never touched 'em!

So, after "fattening" up the mix in nearly all the carbs, the carbs synced easily, each pulling their fare share of the vacuum. I really thought that the mixture, set "generically" and arbitrarily by Pierce would be close enough to synch the Webers, then fine tune later. WRONG! Lucas also theorizes that the ethanol in the gasoline evaporates more quickly at higher operating temps (of course) and with the very short (OK, almost non-existent) runners in the plenums, the effect is more direct. In an hour, the car was idling perfectly and I hope to drive it tomorrow or this weekend.

Thanx everyone for your thoughts. I apologize if I misled anyone in the pursuit of the diagnosis; it was just ignorance, not malice! argggghh. s
steve meltzer,
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

No problem Steve, we are all learning as we go and (most) no one is a pro here. What bugs me more than anything is guys that post a problem and seek advice, but then they never loop back so we can in turn learn. So, thanks for looping back.

john
PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Thanx again, John. I'm clearly the beneficiary here, as I learned a great deal from everyone's thoughts and, if I can remember 1/2 of what i've been taught, i'll be way ahead of where i was. thanx again for your thoughts and, most importantly, support. s
steve meltzer,
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

I'm glad you finally figured it out. I guess the valuable lesson here is there is no such thing as "plug and play" on these cars! Mike does a great job on these carburetors, but they always need some kind of tweaking when they're put on a car. Vacuum changes from all sorts of factors, from uneven compression, different exhausts, cam timing, etc. I know Enzo didn't want you to use those gold plated screw drivers on your carbs, but he didn't mean NEVER!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Thanx again Tom (and everyone else) for your continued support. However, I think I got rooked: my "genuine Ferrari" screwdrivers from Harbor Freight weren't gold plated! s
steve meltzer,