Video Quality & Brown & Sharp

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

jhorton

Video Quality & Brown & Sharp

Post by jhorton »

Hey Tom, congratulations, the car looks and especially sounds FANTASTIC!

There is something hinky in the video that you posted. Even after downloading it to my super computer it plays really poorly, missing lots of frames and the overall quality is terrible. When I went to play it I was prompted to download some sort of, ' Streaming,' component from Apple, which I did.

All other videos that you have posted have played and looked much better on my machine. If you know of something that my improve playbck on my machine, please let me know.

Also, regarding your Brown & Sharpe caliper find: I have never seen one of those, but I have been at the factory in RI several times in the early '90's. They are a large company that is very well known for making some of the highest quality precision measuring instruments in the world. I suspect that they made a pretty nice caliper and that it would have sold for a TON more than twenty-bucks.

Here is a link to their website if you are interested:

http://www.brownandsharpe.com/home.asp?setlang=EN

Doesn't look like the weather is going to be very kind for a Cape Cod run this Fall, but if you ever want to make the run, I still have this guesthouse that you can use. I would love to get some top-quality pics of you and the car.

Jay Horton
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Jay,

Sorry about the video quality. I've been trying to make the video as small as possible so my server doesn't get overloaded. With so many people downloading the movie, making it smaller helps keep things running. If I could afford to get a dedicated server, I'd post better and longer movies!

Tom

P.S. Thanks for the offer to visit Cape Cod! I hope it still stands in the Spring when the interior gets done!
Last edited by tyang on Sun Oct 13, 2002 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhorton

Post by jhorton »

The offer stands anytime.

I have server space that you can use if it helps from time to time, but I think I am limited to 250MB per month transfer.

At any rate, if it helps you are welcome to it, just drop me a line.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks for both offers!

The server problems does not lie with the disk space, but rather the amount of bandwidth the movies take up at high traffic times. Downloading the movie by several fans at the same time slows things down. Keeping the file size small helps a bit.

Tom
tyang

Post by tyang »

I've posted a slightly higher resolution movie to the site. Try this one out.

http://www.movies.tomyang.com/firstdrive.mov

Tom
jhorton

Post by jhorton »

Thanks Tom, that one played smoothly.

What wonderful mechanical sounds.
Pontiac

Post by Pontiac »

Do you know how many GB pr month of bandwidth the Movies are using?
I'm allowed 30gb pr month on my plan and I'm using about 7 right now

I could probably set asside about 100megs of storage as long as the bandwidth didn't kill me. Anything over 30gb is $8 pr Gb so if it went over I'd have to bill you in Ferrari rides and late show tours :)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks for the offer, but it's really a problem with the high traffic times. When I first post a movie, everyone tries to download it at the same first few days.

Tom