GTE Fuel tank installation

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

BobA

GTE Fuel tank installation

Post by BobA »

I am in the process of re-installing my Series I tank and am wondering if there are any "secrets" to the the process. I have fitted the filler neck to the body and now realize that the angled tube fits inside the fuel tank filler rather than just connecting with the hose and clamps. Space is almost non-existent to move the tank from side to side and maybe the fitting of the fill pipe to the tank occurs while raising the tank up from below. Any advice? Thanks in advance. Bob #2693
John Vardanian

Re: GTE Fuel tank installation

Post by John Vardanian »

Dissimilar car, but in my case the tank goes up in place first, then the rubber hose slips on the mouth of the tank (along with the clamps) then the filler neck slips inside the hose. The insulation grommets decide the vertical positioning of the tank, so if your tank is too far up then I can see why the mouth and the filler neck collide.

john
PF Coupe
BobA

Post by BobA »

Since I did not realize that the filler pipe goes into the filler neck of the tank, I may have made the error of trying to push the tank up and then insert the filler pipe. I will lower the tank and try again when my son comes to help.Probably better with 2 people. Thanks John.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Bob,

Yeah, Tank goes in first. Some cars have more room than others, but as in your case, the filler neck sounds like it's real close to the tank. Getting the big rubber grommet in place with the tank and filler neck lined up may be your next challenge. Heating up the rubber so it's pliable helps. Don't forget to connect the breather hose to the tank before you send the tank up into the bodywork!

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
BobA

Post by BobA »

Thanks Tom: I have a section of 2" fuel filler hose, but realize that although I can fit it over the filler neck, it is too tight to slide up and back after aligning the filler pipe with the tank neck. Where can I buy a section of 55 mm ID fuel hose? GT Parts has 53 mm, but think that is also too tight. Bob
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Bob, the 53mm hose is your average 2" hose presented as a metric hose. The best you can do is 2-1/8", which will work fine. Can you reuse the original?

john
PF Coupe
BobA

Post by BobA »

Hi John: I cut the old one off, but would not have trusted it anyway. My regular hose supply house does not have and 2 1/8" hose, but I understand that a 1997 vintage VW Vanagon uses 55 mm ID hose in the fuel filler. Will try that route and will keep you posted. Bob
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Bob, McMaster Carr has it.

john
PF Coupe
BobA

Post by BobA »

Thanks John. I missed the Buna-n hose since it was listed as coolant hose. Ordered. Part # 572K54
BobA

Post by BobA »

Well I received a foot of 2 1/4" hose which is 54mm equivalent. We lubed it with white grease and after getting it up the filler pipe far enough to install, it would not budge back down. T finally wound up cutting it away and am now in search of 55mm hose.I know GTO has it but at $36 for a 4" section, i will look a little further. maybe I put too much paint on the filler pipe.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Bob, I have used hot water in the past to persuade under-size hoses. You are so close that it just might do the trick.

john
PF Coupe
BobA

Post by BobA »

I received the 55mm hose from GTO Engineering today and it fits perfectly. No wire reinforcement, so easy to work with. Have not installed tank yet, but looks extremely promising. Bob #2693
BobA

Post by BobA »

In the post regarding the hose I bought from McMaster Carr, I put down the wrong size. I actually bought 2 1/8" or 54mm hose. That was too, small and 2 1/4" was too loose.