different type of grease nipples on the prop shaft?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Melchior

different type of grease nipples on the prop shaft?

Post by Melchior »

Hello,

My GTE shows grease nipples with flat top made of brass throughout. Only at the two nipples at the cardan joint are different (the one right beside at the prop shaft looks like all others on the car again). I assume that these two have been fitted later somewhen and by lacking the right style nipples these standard ones have been fit?!
I want to make my car as original as possible and intend to fit the flat brass nipples but need to be sure that this is correct. Can anyone confirm or advice other?

regards,

Martin
Attachments
IMG_6585.JPG
IMG_6585.JPG (348.66 KiB) Viewed 5453 times
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
DWR46

Re: different type of grease nipples on the prop shaft?

Post by DWR46 »

Martin: I do not believe that is necessarily a good assumption. The U-joints were sourced from an outside supplier and would not had to have the same style grease fitting.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

I should add to my first post, that I personally do not recall seeing "button" style fittings on U-joints.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

If you look at the original factory diagrams you'll see the Zerc fittings (not buttons) on the you joints.

john
PF Coupe
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Aha, the reason with the external supplier of the component sounds very logical. So I will leave them as is and not replace them with button style. One more time thank you very much for the information John!

regards
Martin
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)