Ferrari 250 Gte Change from Generator to Alternator?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

chris

Ferrari 250 Gte Change from Generator to Alternator?

Post by chris »

Dear All,

does someone know when (vin or date) Ferrari changed for the 250 Gte from Generator Magneti Marelli DN 63 B to Alternator Magneti Marelli GCA 101? Any info welcome. If you own a S3 Gte please state what type your chassis number has.

Thanks a lot.
Chris
Tom Wilson

Re: Ferrari 250 Gte Change from Generator to Alternator?

Post by Tom Wilson »

This is something I have not collected information on, but should. Going through my build sheets I see that 4039 GT (19th to last Series II) and 4081 GT (3rd to last Series II) had DN 63 B's. 4165 GT (25th Series III) and 4169 GT (27th Series III) had GCA 101 A's. So we have a range. Now we need to narrow it down.

That being said, we understand that Ferrari ordered GTEs to be built in groups of 50. So, if the last 50 Series II's were ordered, it makes sense that 50 DN 63 B's were ordered at the same time. Then when 50 Series III's were ordered, it makes sense that 50 GCA 11 A's were ordered, making the break point the first Series III. That, of course, assumes that anything makes sense when talking about Ferrari production.

I will contact more of the late Series II and early Series III owners to see what their cars have. For what it is worth, my car's (4247 GT, 62nd Series III) build sheet says it has a GCA 11 AA. I will have to get down to San Diego to see if that is a typo...
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
chris

Post by chris »

Hi Tom,

that is very helpfull info. I tried to figure it out by looking at photos at your webside in the register. But that was quiet a challenge. Thanks for bringing up this Info.

Cheers
Chris
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

The same question has been asked about the Lusso electrical system. Although the Lusso was in production at the same time as the 2+2, the installation of alternators were much later in the s/n range. Jim