distributor machines

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Rudy van Daalen Wetters

distributor machines

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

My 250 gte s/n 4001 could use some ignition help and I am really trying to find a distributor machine to set the dual points in the distributor. Can anyone help me find such a machine? There have been a couple on e bay
but buyer beware if they work properly.

Thank you.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
fest

books

Post by fest »

"Ferrari Tuning Tips & Maintenance Techniques"
Roush and Apen circa 1975 FAF
(Re-Print Veloce Press 2001)

contains an excellent section
on how to properly set up 2 Distributor Ignition Systems
(that is why I bought the book, actually, as I was rather clueless)

also see

"Ferrari Guide to Performance"
Bishop 1987 Motorbooks
(also reprinted by Veloce Press)

contains a good section on how to rebuild Distributors
including the Mechanical Advance Mechanism
as well as infomation on setting them up

try http://www.amazon.com

The Machine is apparently the only way to check
the if the Advance Curve is correct,
however, it is easy to check
if the Mechanical advance is working properly
by using a Timing Light

I have not gotten to this step as yet
(and right now I am glad my car has
one Distributor and Electronic Ignition)
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Rudy,

There is a fellow in Michigan that sells restored Sun machines. I got one from him last year and it is in excellent shape. I can give you his contact information next week when I get back to the office.

John Vardanian
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

distributor machines

Thank you, "fest" and John Vardanian for your replies. John, the info on the Sun machine restorer would be most appreciated. The Ferrari Forum has been quite helpful in the short time that I have been a member.

Regards,

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
fest

posted

Post by fest »

John-

please post this contact info for us
when you get a chance-
I may need it for future reference

maybe he is willing to do a 'tune up' on older units as well
so if one of happens to find one, we can get it checked out
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

The fellow in Michigan who sells Sun distributor machine, his name is Mark Saunders and his email address is mdsaunders@ameritech.net

Hope this helps.

John Vardanian
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

John,

Can you check the e mail address for mdsaunders@ameritech.net? I am getting a delivery failure notice regarding the address.

Thank you.

Rudy
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Rudy,

You may try calling him at 616-878-9734. Hope this one works.

john
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

John,

Thanks for the phone number for Mark Saunders. He sounds quite capable. He has a new e-mail address which is:

mdsaunders@sbcglobal.net

Thanks again,

Rudy
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

If you live in the mid-atlantic, David Carte's shop in Edinburgh, Virginia has an old distributor machine. If you're nutty enough to show up w/ your S85s in hand, he just might set them up for you.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Mark Saunders was very informative regarding the distributor machines. He noted that many of the machines he receives are reading incorrectly and the dwell could be way off. These machines need to be calibrated with a preset test distributor which he has. The last of the distributor machines were made in 1977, per Mark, and who knows how accurate some may still be these days if they are not being checked on a regular basis.

Rudy
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Setting the points is sometimes only half the challenge. In a two distributor car, the advance curves have to match in each which means advance springs and weights adjusted to create equal curves over their range of operation. For this a distributor machine is crucial and after 35 years its not a safe bet the pair tracks. You might want to take them to someone to set them up and avoid the cost of a machine, if you put MSDs in the car at the same time, you ought never have to add points for decades. Michael Bayer #9727
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Michael,

Good point on the advance curves matching on both distributors. I had not paid heed to that as closely as I now realize how important that is!
Tell me more about MSDs and fitting it to a GTE if you could. I love originality but perhaps it is wise to be practical sometimes.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
s/n 4001
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Bryan P,

Thanks for the info on David Carte's shop but I am in sunny California.
My brother has a 365 2+2 and I the GTE, so we thought it nice to have our own distributor machine. They are not cheap, to say the least.

Rudy
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Rudy: They are a no brainer to instal, one each distributor, in the 330s everyone hides them in the area behing the front wheel well access panels. Short answer is they send tiny amounts of electricty and load over the points, fire electronically and create a constant spark voltage over a wide range of input volatge, as in when the car is at low speed and the other loads are high. Perforamnce is GREATLY improved over all ranges most at slow and mid and you can run a slightly hotter plug wo fouling. Best point is no electrical erosion of the points, enabling them to out live the owners. They have a web site below:
http://www.msdignition.com As I remember it they were about 150 each. Michael Bayer #9727