electrical contact at steering column

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Melchior

electrical contact at steering column

Post by Melchior »

Hello there,

can anybody tell how this contact at the steering column should look like? Is there a coal-brush missing or how should the brass bracket be conected to the steering column? The brass bracket does not touch the steering column as it is now, but the brush marks indicate that there must have been a contact.

Thank you very much for any advice, regards Martin
Attachments
contact.jpg
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
Menlodon

Re: electrical contact at steering column

Post by Menlodon »

On my 250 GTE it is a brass brush. Photo
Attachments
DSCN0785.JPG
enio45

Post by enio45 »

I believe that is for your horn contact - the metal tabs extend and rub the copper that is wrapped around the steering column.

Looks like your tab or tabs are broken off.....at least from the pics it looks that way.....

I assume your horn does not work?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Hello Ed,

thank you for the picture. I currently exchange the glasses of my speedometer and the other instruments and had to tilt down the steering column therefor. I need to check this after repositioning the steering column again. I will compare to yours and then see whether there is something broken or missing. Anyhow thank you very much for your help, I will let you know as soon as I realize what it is about.

regards,

Martin
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
enio45

Post by enio45 »

There u go - probably just bent the tabs..
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
tyang

Post by tyang »

Melchior wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:25 am Hello Ed,

thank you for the picture. I currently exchange the glasses of my speedometer and the other instruments and had to tilt down the steering column therefor. I need to check this after repositioning the steering column again. I will compare to yours and then see whether there is something broken or missing. Anyhow thank you very much for your help, I will let you know as soon as I realize what it is about.

regards,

Martin
Hi Martin,

Yes, the tabs may have broken off. The later cars have a plastic holder for a thin carbon brush that often gets broken off. You can easily fabricate a brass tab to recreate the contact. Make sure you have the battery disconnected, or you may scare the hell out of yourself when the contact makes ground and sets the horn off. Ask me how I know!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053