250 GTE Questions from a (Big Time) Novice...

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Leonard

250 GTE Questions from a (Big Time) Novice...

Post by Leonard »

Hello All,

I have never owned an older car, but I've finally reached a point in my life where I want a toy to drive and enjoy on the weekends. I've always loved the looks of the 250 GTE and, having a 4 year old daughter, I think it will be perfect since the whole family will be able to enjoy the car together. As I've said, I've never owned an older car of any type so, if my questions seem idiotic, please forgive me. I'm hoping that some of you GTE owners out there can help me out.

Okay, I'll start with what might be the most ridiculous question. Will it be alright to use modern unleaded gasoline (91 octane), or do I have to use a lead additive? I remember reading somewhere that the valve seats could become damaged with unleaded fuel. Is that true?

When you've finished laughing at that one, I've got another good one for you. Okay, I was wrong before... This is the most ridiculous question. How on earth do you remove those oil filters that are standing up vertically in the front of the engine without getting oil all over the place?

Also, I've read that the overdrive unit and transmission have completely different lubrication requirements, yet they share the same oil. The magazine article that stated this suggested using oil that was correct for the transmission and just not using the overdrive at all. Surely there's a better solution?

Another, somewhat less ridiculous question: I prefer the looks of the earlier (series I/II) cars. Can anyone tell me about what percentage of these cars are equipped with air conditioning (a must!)?

Do these cars have generators? If so, is it possible to upgrade to an alternator system and to upgrade things like the lights to make the car safer to drive on modern highways at night?

Okay, that's all for now. Again, I apologize for being so ignorant! Thanks.

Leonard C.
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Okay, I dug around and found what Tom had to say about the transmission/overdrive oil issue under "Ferrari Restoration Tips": 201 80-90wt gear oil by SWEPCO. Thanks! (And that was one of the less ridiculous questions!) :)
kare

GT/E

Post by kare »

I personally use fuel additive on all older cars. Possible damage depends on what kind of fuel is used, what type of engine is in question and how do you use it.

Correct oil filters have a valve plate inside, which keeps the oil in filter when it engine is turned off.

Series 1-2 cars have older type overdrive unit. Series 3 cars have the fluids separated. Motoring journalists love to go about how there is no amp meter in older cars, how the glove box is too small, how GT/E understeers and how the overdrive unit is potential source for problems. So far all OD-related problems I've heard of have been electrical and the lubrication issue really seems to be exaggerated.

Air conditioning was not an option when GT/E was manufactured, some cars have been equipped with after market air. Factory A/C was introduced during 330GT production.

Series 1-2 has a generator. I think alternator was introduced for Series 3 (not confirmed, cannot really remember). Many cars have been converted.

Best wishes, Kare
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Leonard,

Welcome to my website!

It's funny that you ask about air conditioning because Michael Greenspan and I were chatting about the possibility of adding A/C to his 330 America, and Yale with his 330 GT 2+2 is also interested. Stay tuned!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Yale

Post by Yale »

Futhermore, Michaels car, a two owner 330 America - hence series 3 GTE body, has a generator not an alternator. So I would assume (and we know what that is worth), that all the GTE bodies were orginally with generators. Michael went to Hot Rod Air for a catalog for the aircon pieces and mounting hardware, but there is also Vintage Air. As it stands, Francois is trying to figure out what is possible and get some idea of the time involved. The space in a 330 America engine compartment is very tight though as Kare mentioned, the 330 engine does have existing hardware to mount the compressor and stuff as it came on some later cars.

As for lead in gas, I have heard from a friend of mine, Jamie Kitman who is writing a book on this subject that this is not as much of an issue as you may have heard 1. and 2. I have heard from Francois that in the US we don't drive at fast enough speeds for long enough duration for this to matter even if it was an issue.

Good questions, keep em coming.

Yale NYC 330GT 6097
Michael Greenspan

Post by Michael Greenspan »

Ok now that Yale has given you some details, let me fill in where we are. The dashboard had been removed to replace the shrunken cover (see Tom's post about this) Frank is now working on recovering it. When I saw that the interior was almost in a gutted condition I figured that this was the moment to see if we could do air conditioning. Francois has pretty much decided that he will is place the compressor on the left side of the engine mounted low and remove the original fan to make room for a new pulley wheel (yes, the mounting will be custom and the pulley will have to be made). He will probably have to move the passive oil filter to a new position. This will also allow him to put an electric "puller" fan inside the engine compartment (which is prefered to a "pusher" in front of the radiator anyway). But, that's the easy part. He is not sure that the unit that will replace the original heater/defroster box will fit. The new unit will be a fresh air/defroster/heater/airconditioner chamber and you can guess at the air plumbing (the hot water / coolant stuff is pretty straighforward) complexities in addition to the size problem and then trying to mate the controls to the original Ferrari switches and levers to make it look all right and not be a smack in your face add-on. I have high hopes but the next week or so will determine whether this will work. Our aim is to use the original dashboard air vents and not do anything additional. The folks at HotRoad Air are being very helpful and rooting that this will work. They think it will be "way cool" that they have been able to help air condition a vintage Ferrari.

If it does work, I will get Tom pictures to post as a hint for anyone else determined to do this.

Michael
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

I've been trying to say "thank you" to all who replied to this thread, but I've been getting an "Invalid_Session" error message every time I attempt to respond, so I'll try one more time:

Thanks!
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Leonard: I have heard all the debates pro and con about lead in the fuel, with the original and soft valve seats in my 330, I prefer to add it as insurance, its WAY cheeper than any engine rebuild and adding some to each fill up, painless. I purchased the real thing: TEL from Vogel Products, Inc., 860 Repp Dr., Columbus, IN 47201. Phone 812-376-2775. They can ship it. They sell it by the gallon, but it comes in resealable quart containers. Michael Bayer #9727