330 GTC “whatever it’s called”

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

todaxyz

330 GTC “whatever it’s called”

Post by todaxyz »

Tom,
Your blog shows an oil line reservoir of some sort that you are going to paint the correct hammertone silver. I need to do the same. Is there a rattle can paint brand that you will use or recommend for this?
Thx, Tom
mechaniker

Re: 330 GTC “whatever it’s called”

Post by mechaniker »

I´m not Tom, but here in Germany, the Hammertone Silver is nor a rattle can, but normal paint to brush on. Hammerite is quite common here.
peterp

Post by peterp »

Rustoleum's hammered paint is very good. I used this on Fiamm horn restoration and was very happy with it (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum- ... 115594.htm). That paint is good for up to 200 degrees -- so might want to measure the operating temperature of the thingamajig to check temperature compatibility with whatever paint you use. You have to spray it thicker than typical spray paint (while still avoiding runs) for the "hammered effect" to work, otherwise it will just look like regular silver paint.

They also have hammered silver in brush-on paint (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum- ... /100670385). This is much easier to get a hammered finish because it's you will automatically get a thick enough layer with the brush. I think the brush-on is also limited to 200 degrees.

They also have hammered silver in "paint & primer" version with a fancy trigger sprayer. I would not use that one because the trigger sprayer is not very reliable in my experience.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
todaxyz

Post by todaxyz »

Great. Thank you both!
todaxyz

Post by todaxyz »

One more question for those with a 330 GTC. Do you paint the reservoir only, or the entire bracket assembly too?
Tom
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

Sorry I haven't replied. I was out in Monterey, but it looks like you got your answers.

I believe the bracket was semi-glass black. At least that's what I did.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tinbender

Post by tinbender »

Sometime in years past I was told this item was called a muffler.
Regards, Terry Phillips 330GTC #9411
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

As I told Tom in Monterey, it is an air/oil separator. It "swirls" the air out of the oil before the oil passes to the engine. You don't want to lubricate the main and rod bearings with "air".