Interior Leather Replacement

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330 America

Interior Leather Replacement

Post by 330 America »

Guys - looks like my build sheet shows the interior was originally blue but its been dyed to black (not a very good job either). I'd like to restore it back to the factory color since the "hump" (console area) leather needs to be replaced anyway as does the carpet. The front/rear seats are in better than average condition, but certainly not concours.

I need advice relative to how much it should cost for the front/rear seats to be re-trimmed, along with the front/rear door panels and handles/armrests....any input would be appreciated -- along with any recommendations as to whether any shops have this stuff pre-made that can be ordered.

Thanks....
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

I think the amount of journal entries I've written on my interior restoration is a good indication of how complex the 330 America interior can be. An interior can cost anywhere from $8K to $15K depending on how much you need to have done and the quality of the work. The Connolly leather that I bought for my car cost almost $3K!

'taint cheap.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
fest

reoriginals

Post by fest »

as an alternative to custom made
you may wish to try Re-Originals
for the Seat Covers
(I do not know if they offer other trim pieces however)

http://www.reoriginals.com/

I have not seen their wares personally
but the proprietor Matt seems very knowledgeable
as well as being an amiable fellow

I may choose this route
when the time comes for my seats
tyang

Post by tyang »

I'm pretty sure Re-Originals does not have covers for 2+2s. The GTC and Lusso seats he has are very different from the ones found on the GTE, 330 2+2s, etc.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

I actually spoke to Matt at RE just yesterday. Tom is right - he does not have seat covers for 330 GTs. He did go the extra mile for me hunting down some rubber parts - very nice guy.
giovanni44

Interior Replacement

Post by giovanni44 »

Hi Steve,
Another source you might want to try is World Upholstery in New York. They have a wide range of products and services which they are continuing to expand.

Giovanni :D
330 America

Post by 330 America »

I think I'm going to drive the car through the good weather (which in Texas includes up to November) and then do a proper interior/exterior restoration on the car to factory color code.

I'm hoping Frank (East Coast Auto Trim) can give me a competitive quote on rebuilding my seats and recovering them in properly tanned (or at worst, vat dyed) Connolly leather which I'll install with the Wilton carpeting and new headliner. While the interior is out, I'm going to have the car stripped and a complete repaint done -- including the restoration of the front end to Series III spec's (I'm going to buy the parts next week while they are available & affordable).

Seat covers are OK but I want the entire interior correctly done, so I don't think I have the patience to do it in pieces -- I'd rather have someone tear everything out and do it correctly at one time while the body is being refinished and repainted over next winter.

Matt at Re-Originals is cool and works hard, but I find that its "hit or miss" with getting what I need.

Thanks for the comments as I'm new to this but am determined to have a killer car when I'm done.
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

I think you're making the right decision in driving the car for the summer and fall before embarking on any major work. You'll enjoy the car on the road, and get to know her before tearing into the body and interior.

What color blue was the interior? Was it a light blue like http://www.tomyang.net/cars/othercars/alexander.htm
Since Connolly is no longer in business, locating a suitable leather in that color can take some hunting.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053