FRAM oil filter - worst in quality test

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Melchior

FRAM oil filter - worst in quality test

Post by Melchior »

Hello guys,

I guess most if you use FRAM oil filters for our 12 cylinders. Keeping in mind the value of our cars I guess none of us would be thrifty and we look for the best oil filters available. In fact I always thought this would be the FRAM, but if you watch this video you know better - this is unbelievable!

https://youtu.be/iTNJLEV8CG8

The best one seems to be the napa gold filter - does anyone know the exact two types we need for the 3,0l engine of a 250 GTE?

Regards,

Martin
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
DWR46

Re: FRAM oil filter - worst in quality test

Post by DWR46 »

Martin: I know all about the various tests that show Fram filters to be poor quality, and I have stopped using them on most cars. HOWEVER, the Fram PH2815 is the ONLY filter that has the specific specs needed for the full flow unit on the 250, 275 and 330 motors that use the two filters. The PH 2815 is made to better quality specs than the regular Fram filters and we continue to use them on our vintage racing Ferrari's. I have researched filters extensively over the years and the 2815 is still the only one available that has the bypass valve specs needed by these engines. Lots of various filters will fit, but their lower bypass valve settings cause the motors to bypass almost all the oil all the time, thus actually filtering almost NONE of the oil.
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Dyke, I have heard that the FNA Ferrari dealers put the UFI filters on the 275's and 330's when in for service fluid service. I do not know anything about these filters, but I continue to use Fram PH2815 on 275 and 330 engines. Just wondering about the UFI's.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Jim: I was afraid when I made my post that it would open a can of worms. However, it is open now, so here goes.
1. I suspect dealers install the UFI filter because that is what Ferrari supplies to them for all the late 330 and later cars up through 308/328, BBi and Mondials. UFI #23.162.02 is the part number, that interchanges with the Fram PH2804/1 and Baldwin B253. Neither of these filters are correct for the 250, 275 or 330 engines that use one full flow and one bypass filter. However, these filters SCREW RIGHT ON to the motor!
2. I have not found the specs for the UFI filter, but can probably make the assumption that they are somewhat similar to the Fram and Baldwin interchange filters.
3. The 250,275 and 330 engines using the two DIFFERENT filters require a full flow filter that HAS an internal bypass valve. This allows the engine to continue to receive oil even if the filter is clogged with 'trash". Late 330, 4 Cam and later engines that use two of the SAME filter do not require a bypass valve in the filter as it is located in the chaincase.
4. The setting of the filter bypass valve is the critical piece of the puzzle. Ferrari engines of this era have oil pumps that drive at over 150 psi hot. You do not see this on the gauge as the gauge reads pressure AFTER the crankshaft has been oiled. However, the filter DOES see this high pressure. The bypass valve setting determines when the filter starts to NOT filter the oil, but just send it straight to the engine. It is common for these engines to run a pressure differential "across the filter" of 20-25 psi., especially when the oil is cold and thick.
5. There are many filters that will screw on to a Ferrari engine of this era; Fram PH2815, Fram PH8A, Wix 51515, Fram PH28041, Baldwin B253, Fram HP1 for example.
6. Of the above filters, ONLY the PH2815 has a bypass valve setting of 19-37 psi. The PH28041 has NO bypass valve (remember it was designed for the engines with the valve in the chaincase), the Baldwin has a 20 psi valve, the PH8A and Wix a 8-11 psi valve and the HP1 has 22 psi valve.
You can see that the Wix and standard Fram will actually bypass the oil almost all the time, thus no filtering is taking place in the engine. The PH28041 will starve this series of motors of oil if it becomes clogged. The Baldwin and the HP1 can work, but the bypass settings are marginal.
7. The PH2815, HP1, and Baldwin all have 500-600 psi burst strength cases, so all are good in this department.
8. I favor the Baldwin B253 for the engines that use two of the SAME filters. It is very high quality and its having a bypass valve is not problem when compared to the PH28041. It just provides some redundancy in the system, with valves being in both the filter and the chaincase.
9. As for the second Bypass Filer in the earlier engines, it only filters SOME of the oil (bled off of the oil pump) to a higher standard and then dumps the oil back in to the sump. Ferrari was concerned only one full flow filter could not keep up with the oil volumes and "pressures" under high rpm conditions so they specified a full flow unit that filtered to an "acceptable" level and a bypass unit the filtered to a "finer" level. For this application I use the Fram PB50 (for farm tractors and old Divco trucks) only so the motor has "matching" looking filters.
Enough said, didn't mean for this to become a "novel".
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Dyke, right on target with your analysis, and the dealers quest to use the company filters. Aside from using the correct application of the Fram's, it seems like that U tube video cursed all Fram oil filters thus causing all the concern. As you and I have always said the factory knew what they were doing when they designed engines, and it still holds true till this day. Jim