Steve, How is your America in person?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Art S.

Steve, How is your America in person?

Post by Art S. »

Steve,

I read in another post that you finally received the America. Congratulations!

Now that you have gotten to see it in person, how is it?

Art S.
330 America

Post by 330 America »

It looks better than I expected. Its in very good condition and is complete (except someone stole my shifter knob while in transit through US Customs in Houston -- so I had to "win" the Lusso shifter off eBay tonight to replace it.)

The interior leather is very good (no cracks/tears) but had an older spray dye done to it changing it (along with other interior items) to black from its original blue. I intend to have the car restored (not concours, but very nice daily driver level) this coming winter as I'm anal about cars being historically correct (including color).

The car starts nicely, idles smoothly, and appears to have many new items underneath (under-coating is very good). Hinges in rear trunk are excellent, original tools intact, all Borrani's in very nice condition, etc. Gearbox shifts smoothly and clutch is consistent....again, nothing major wrong, it just needs some TLC to finish it to an excellent standard.

The car is a 8 on a 10 scale and has 44K original miles with full documentation (warranty card, build sheet, etc.), so all-in-all I think I'm OK with my investment so far.

I am itching to drive it so I hope to have it inspected in 10 days as I've got a few minor items to get fixed such as light bulbs, etc.

By the way everyone, Michael Lederman (lunarlights@yahoo.com) is a great contact in LA for vintage Ferrari lights and trim. He's supplying me with the Marchal items and sold me a new headlight reflector unit and bulb for about 2/3 the price of what everyone else on Tom's vendor list has offered....check him out at 310-721-2516. He owns a house in Italy also and travels back & forth throughout the year shipping parts.
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Steve,

I haven't heard much about your car lately. Is this because you are too busy driving it?

Art S.
330 America

Post by 330 America »

Art - no, actually I just got Texas license plates on the car last week and put my first 40 miles on the car. It drives nicely but its still got some small items to be addressed (minor cracks in the Nardi wheel, mirrors that don't adjust very well, etc.) that I'll get to in May. I've already purchased the front sheet metal, Marchal headlamps, Marchal driving lamps, etc. to do the proper restoration from the accident that car sustained back in the 1970's during its early ownership years.

I'm going to drive the car this Spring/Fall and then if I like it enough to keep, I'll invest the $20K necessary to do a complete interior/exterior restoration -- including returning the car to its proper silver/blue exterior color and silver/blue interior leather color (Frank/Tom are helping me locate the leather color now). This will include a complete bead blast of the body, new rubber everywhere (glass will be retained), re-chrome everything on the car, etc. It won't be a "frame off" restoration -- but very close given that I've already invested $4K to rebuild the carb's, re-core the radiator, replace all gaskets, rebuild fuel pump(s), etc.

This is my first Ferrari ownership experience, so I'm still adjusting to the fact they are not as turnkey as the 5 Porsche's I've owned, including my Carrera RS race car. My absence on the chat postings is due to my Porsche road racing at Texas and Road Atlanta in the past 30 days and upcoming races at Daytona, Laguna Seca, and Watkins Glen in the next 45 days. This is my real passion as the Ferrari is just a weekend/hobby car, so I'll give you guys another update (and some pic's) in coming months. One good thing is that the 330 America literally stops traffic everywhere I went with it last week. I had a 70 year old guy offer to trade his new Cadillac for it at a gas station and several other inquiries whether it was "for sale" so its gathering interest. No overheating and all guages appear to work fine (even the clock!)

If I don't keep the car, maybe I'll go back to a newer production 550/575 Maranello or something -- who knows.

The advice/expertise from you, Yale and the rest of the guys has been invaluable. Next project is installing seat belts from Andover Restraints.

Thanks a ton!
Steve Patti
330 America

Post by 330 America »

I ordered the seat belts from Andover Restraints this week and expect them next week -- hopefully installation won't be a pain. Car is driving well after a re-cored radiator and $4,000 in hoses/rebuilt carbs/tie-rods, suspension bushings and a host of other minor items.

Looking for a steering box (NOS or rebuilt) if anyone's got a lead.

Temperature now sneaking into the 90's here in Dallas with no A/C in the car. The car may have to sit over the Summer until temp's retreat.

I'm growing more used to driving the car and it drives well.
Steve Patti
330 America

Post by 330 America »

Its now coming up on Christmas in Big D and my 330 America has officially been out of my hands and in restoration for 6 months. I told Tom I can't believe he's waited 4 years as I'm going nuts wanting it back. The interior is in NYC with Frank Segreto to be restored in January/February 2005 (leather to be ordered this month), the guages have just been completed at DM Restorations (South Carolina) and Mike says they simply look fabulous (I get them back later this month) and the body has been stripped to bare metal and is getting a "Pebble Beach" restoration (the shop doing it won a "Platinum Award" at Pebble for a Dino in Aug 2004) here in Dallas.

I hope to have the car put back together in February 2005 and back to my house in March 2005 just in time to enjoy some 60 degree cruising weather.

I'm probably going to be over-invested in this car when its finished, but reading all the posts/threads regarding 330 America's getting scrapped or rusting in barns, guys like Tom/I have no other choice but to save the last few of these rare beauties. I had hoped one day to swap it (and some cash) for a nice Lusso -- we'll see.

I'll jump back online after the new year and post some pictures. All I need now is a good recommendation on a radio repair shop for some tunes or I'll have to take "the plunge" and get Sirius or XM Radio for those times when I don't want to listen to the V12 symphony with the windows down.
Steve Patti
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

I spoke to Frank about your interior, and it looks like I'll be involved with some of its restoration. Would you be interested in seeing some of the work posted on this site?

Well, for the 700 or so miles I've driven my car, I have to say you won't be dissapointed. Besides the exterior asthetics, the 330 America may be a better car than the Lusso! My car pulls much stronger than the smaller 250 engine, and although the chassis may be heavier than the Lusso, the power to weight may be better.

With all this talk about the 2+2s getting chopped up, I sure hope we don't regret it years from now when everyone realizes how great these cars really are!

The five plus years was not wasted waiting for the completion of my car, but was spent savoring every detail putting it back together! Good luck with your car!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
El Wayne

Post by El Wayne »

330 America wrote:...the body has been stripped to bare metal and is getting a "Pebble Beach" restoration (the shop doing it won a "Platinum Award" at Pebble for a Dino in Aug 2004) here in Dallas.
Steve, congratulations. I look forward to seeing photos of the car when it's completed.

By the way, there was no award-winning Dino at Pebble Beach. I would assume that the shop working on your car was involved with the restoration work on Stewart Singer's 246 GTS, which was one of 10 246s to take a platinum award at the Concorso Italiano in nearby Seaside on the same weekend.
330 America

Post by 330 America »

Stuart Singer's shop is doing my Ferrari body work (Stuart/I went to high school together) -- with some mechanical support from Lamborghini Dallas and Ferrari Dallas.
Steve Patti
El Wayne

Post by El Wayne »

Cool. Like I said, can't wait to see it.
farmerdave

Post by farmerdave »

Is Stuart Stinger the guy who has the Dino featured in Texas Driver Magazine?
330 America

Post by 330 America »

Indeed....the same. His shop has been in business 20 years and has the body shop contract for Lamborghini Dallas and Boardwalk Porsche. I believe they may also do body work for Ferrari Dallas. He's got a half a dozen clients with older Ferrari's (60's vintage) where he's done collision or restoratino work and when I was in his shop yesterday, I say a '68 Shelby and a '67 L88 (427) Vette -- both getting complete body/paint work.
Steve Patti
330 America

330 America Restoration Update

Post by 330 America »

Well, its 13 months and counting since I bought my 330 America in Switzerland and hoping to have it on the road by late March (90 days away). Updates:

* Interior removed and shipped to East Coast Auto Trim (Frank Segreto). Leather to be ordered and received in January; upholstery to happen in February. Wilton II carpet to be color matched to paint sample being forwarded in January 2005.
* Body stripped to metal (Tom has pic's) and repair work to rockers, front nose, etc. happening in January, paint in February, re-assemble car in March.l
* Drivetrain removed; engine to be painted/detailed to original spec's and engine bay to be detailed.
* Guages already rebuilt and restored ready for install

This baby is going to look great when we're done -- and yes, I couldn't stand not having a classic cruiser so I just purchased a restored '68 Shelby GT350 (with A/C for those Texas summers) so now I don't care how long the Ferrari takes to complete (as long as its done right) as I've got my classic car fix!
Steve Patti