So glad that professional panel shops have trouble

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

PSk

So glad that professional panel shops have trouble

Post by PSk »

Tom,

It is refreshing to read that your professional panel shop also has trouble getting panel lines, shapes right.

I've spent years confusing myself with my Alfa 1750 GTV restoration, maki mg templates of other cars and getting home and for some reason things don't make sense.

I've actually found the internet really great for this because you can be sitting beside your car and looking at photos. I've also been really lucky that friends have made templates and emailed tracings of them along with photos to me.

Lastly the biggest problem is our eyes. Isn't it amazing how a little thing can look wrong to our eye ... errr

Best
Pete
tyang

Re: So glad that professional panel shops have trouble

Post by tyang »

Hi Pete,

The hand made nature of Vintage Ferraris is a common challenge, but add to that body work done through the years, and the shape of these cars can change drastically. Checking contours with several other cars is only logical. When the 330GTC was made, the Pininfarina body builders were still welding the bodies together by hand, so there was variation between cars, but it was interesting to see if this was still happening a few years later with the Dino body work.

We have better tools like laser scanners to do this kind of measuring, but sometimes a simple piece of cardboard will do the trick!

Tom

Tom
'63 330 America #5053